Crack in Sherwood Maximus 2nd Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Toward the tail end of a recent dive trip, I noticed a small crack in the faceplate of my 2nd stage (see attached, under the "W").

This may be a dumb question but does it need to be repaired, and if so can I attempt it myself?

If it needs to serviced by an LDS how much should I expect to pay?

Or...is it just time for something new?

Sherwood Maximux 2nd Stage.jpg

I assume you are talking about the soft purge cover of which there is a current ongoing thread in which some expressed our loathing of such a thing for this very reason. Some get soft and turn to goo, others get hard and crack as did yours. If a new cover can be sourced you are golden, if not you can continue to dive with it as is as long as the purge covers remains in more or less one contiguous piece after which you will need a new regulator. An example of a current production regulator that does not have a soft cover is the Scubapro G260.

I assume you are talking about the soft purge cover of which there is a current ongoing thread in which some expressed our loathing of such a thing for this very reason.
Yes, the purge cover is what I am referring to. I will search for the thread you mentioned, thanks.

A new cover should cost $15 or so but you can probably get more use from that one, startlooking for replacements, lots of good used Regs out there, I just picked up another SR 2 (listed on the bay as an SR1, no real difference) its a nice high performance reg, SP MK 25’s with S600’s can be found at good prices too, no need to buy new.

We have seen quite a few of these purge covers fail, usually from becoming brittle. Looking at the crack in the picture, I suspect it is only a matter of time before the interior of the cover breaks away from the outer 'ring'. In fact, we usually keep a supply of these covers in inventory for that very reason. Now, the second stage will function normally as long as the outer ring remains intact and holds the diaphragm in place. But, the diaphragm is then exposed, and it is easier for it to be damaged inadvertently.

The part is relatively inexpensive, as lexvil points out. If it were my reg, I would find a good Sherwood dealer and have it replaced. I have no idea what a shop in your area would charge to put a new one on - it would take less than 1 minute. We would probably charge you $5 plus the part cost but I know of other shops that would charge $25 plus the part, and a (very) few that would want to charge you for a full service on the second stage (which is unnecessary).

@Colliam7 Thanks for the helpful post! I will take it to the place I have normally have it serviced, and hope they don't charge too much. I just had it serviced in July so hopefully they won't want to service it again.

If so, my wife has the same reg and she no longer dives so I could use hers. Of course hers would need to be serviced as it hasn't been dived in about five years.

@Colliam7 Thanks for the helpful post! I will take it to the place I have normally have it serviced, and hope they don't charge too much. I just had it serviced in July so hopefully they won't want to service it again.

If so, my wife has the same reg and she no longer dives so I could use hers. Of course hers would need to be serviced as it hasn't been dived in about five years.

No, just remove the purge cover from your wife's regulator and install it on yours if as you say, they are the same.

All you need is a new cover. I do not know if that is a current Sherwood product but if it is or even if it is not, a Sherwood stocking/servicing dealer is where you need to go.

This is not a big deal. But the cover does need to be replaced in due course. It would take me about 60 seconds, if I had the cover, lol. A shop should replace it for free labor as there is none.

James

There is a new Maximus now, internally now like the SR 2, looks nice. I don’t know if this new cover is the same as the older one as far as fitting to yours.

Back
Top Bottom