Creating a scuba shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maine is more than just about color. Main has an excellent selection of marine life that use selective advantage to camoflage its self. The sea cucumbers and lumpfish are incredible.

If you care about my opinion -- Gloucester/Rockport. More interesting dive sites within short access, and property values are merely enormous, instead of sky-high :)

Geographically this would be a nice centrally located area. I know there is some shore diving along this coastal area with good boat access. And you can to many places in MA bay fast by boat.

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Thanks again guys for your recommendations. It does seem like the Gloucester/Rockport area has all the +'s with regards to diving access, + the rail line into Boston makes it easier for those times when I have to give presentations without the hassle of driving in. Maine is terrific and the good thing about it all is that it's only a short jump from a centrally located Scuba Shack.

The Cape is darn beautiful, but public trans. in towards Boston seems harder. I'll keep lookin'. Salem, Marblehead etc. seem like other areas. I know the Gauntlet runs out of Salem.

Cheers,

X

If you have or are thinking about getting a boat, don't rule out Danvers. There are many houses with decent boat docks on the Danvers River (which is well protected past the Kernwood Bridge) and the prices can be high, but not as bad as other places. There is also commuter rail access (though once in a while the Kernwood Bridge does break down). Also, there are good bait shops around and Undersea Divers is only a 2 minutes walk from the public boat dock in Beverly (which you have to go by to get to the ocean from the Danvers River). I keep my boat on the river and love the place (though can't afford a second house). Just another opinion....

Good luck!

Thanks again guys. The bridge closures.. probably equal to, or less than some of the traffic, or rail jams I deal with every so often. At least the MA authorities work on it! The mega-city I live in could give a _hit.

I am having the wife look into Danvers, Marblehead, Manchester, Beverly etc. Of course, as this happens my grotto concept is starting to look flowery, and tastefully appointed.

X

I think my ideal scuba shack would be a boat with a galley some bunks. :D

I am having the wife look into Danvers, Marblehead, Manchester, Beverly etc.

If Danvers starts looking good, there is a lot being cleared where the Riverside Marina was (on the Danvers River between Liberty and Danversport Marinas). There is a new luxury condo development being put in and I heard the units come with slips. I have no idea of the cost, but it might be worth looking into. Just be aware, there are 2 bridges between there and the ocean (I had to wait about 20 minutes between the two yesterday). This is a very protected area though. If you do go there, make sure someone brings you down the channel a few times, it is narrow and doesn't follow the shortest path (a few people a year get grounded and more ding their props). It isn't bad, you just need to be aware.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers Fellas! The thought of a power boat with bunks is appealing, as is the idea of having my own slip. The plans for a boat is definitely attached to the idea of the Scuba shack, or Dive grotto.

However, I just watched a CNN report of a pal here in the NE and his struggles with the cost of gas. It was on CNN but I just can't find the hyperlink! More reason to get a sail boat as the wife is something of a wind sailor. Me, all thumbs on a boat. I can dive off em', but drive em?

X

Back
Top Bottom