Creating a scuba shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boating (like anything fun) can be expensive, but the operating costs might not be as bad as you think. I recently filled up after 3 trips from the Danvers River and it cost me $200.01 @$4.399/gal. (yep, missed by $.01). My trips were to Manchester By The Sea, Eagle Rock, and Lobster Cove. Two of the 3 trips were dive trips. Granted, these are short runs, but so are many charters. My average per trip cost (fuel only) was ~$66. On each trip I had at least one other person (in 1 case 4). Looking at the typical charter, I would be paying ~$75 + tip and so would each other person on board.

I know there are many shore dive spots in the Cape Ann area (I've dove several of them), but some things just aren't going to be accomplished from shore (Scallop dives, diving the Poling - at least not without a re-breather). Also, there are potentially more hassles from shore (parking, if anything ever happens with the dive flag law).

As far as operating a boat, take it slow and have someone who knows something work with you. It isn't hard, but there are hazards and there is an abundance of idiots on the water (no license required, just a checkbook).

Depending on how much non-shore diving you do, a boat might not be so unreasonable. Also, it is far more flexible than a charter.

That being said, there is also the initial cost to consider and the annual maintenance. I just paid for my maintenance and had a new div ladder installed and it cost ~$3500.

I'm not trying to sway anyone either way, just providing food for thought.

Why is it always about the Capes? You'd think there wasn't any good diving between Beverly and Sandwich. In my opinion, the south shore and harbor islands are where it's at... except that the shore diving possibilities on the south shore are limited if you don't have a resident sticker. Since that wouldn't be a problem if you had a shack there, I'd take a look at it.

I work in Hingham and would love to know some places to dive after work. Any decent shore dives in this area? I've only been here a few months and don't know the area (long daily commute to and from Central Mass.).

Why is it always about the Capes? You'd think there wasn't any good diving between Beverly and Sandwich. In my opinion, the south shore and harbor islands are where it's at... except that the shore diving possibilities on the south shore are limited if you don't have a resident sticker. Since that wouldn't be a problem if you had a shack there, I'd take a look at it.

I am not really familiar with the South Shore. Beverly does look like a nice area. Easy to the rail line and only a scant distance from Cape Ann.

I was conducting some work at WHOI a couple of summers and during that time tried to get some dives together. Without a boat, most of the diving on the Cape and lower Boston area seemed to be shallow sandbar type stuff. Then again, I didn't have a lot of time to do scouting and areas seemed restricted to non-residents as you mentioned. Deep was something which required a trip to Provincetown + charter. I also tried finding some spots on Nantucket which was really impossible without a boat. That being said, Nantucket has some very, very cool snapping turtles and eel grass beds.

Anyway fellas, always appreciate the info.

Cheers,

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom