Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh Nereas this section here:
How you have fallen from heaven,
O morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
refers to the Babylonian king, only Christians have re-engineered it to mean somethign else.

Actualy from verse 1-12 they talk about freeing the Kingdom of Israel from Babylon.

Here is an explenation on Satan from What Jews Believe
Now, of course, Judaism and the Bible tell of a character called, "The Satan." Every time the term is used in the Hebrew Scriptures, it reads, "HaSaTaN," which means "THE Satan." However, the concept of The Satan is radically different from the idea of the Devil. For Christians, the devil has power and authority in and of himself. However, in the Bible, The Satan only has power granted by God, and has no authority in and of himself. For the devil, or satan, to have power and authority is to have more than one god, as we saw above concerning the Greeks and the Romans.

For Christians, the devil has power and authority in and of himself. However, in the Bible, The Satan only has power granted by God, and has no authority in and of himself. For the devil, or satan, to have power and authority is to have more than one god, as we saw above concerning the Greeks and the Romans.

I agree.

I guess that means that I am (1)Not a Christian, and (2)Possibly Jewish. Hmmmm...

For Christians, the devil has power and authority in and of himself.
I've "tried" to steer clear of any specific arguments in this thread, and I don't mean to be argumentative now, but the above statement is inaccurate, or at least painted with too broad a brush.
Not all Christians believe that. None, in fact, that I personally know and interact with believe that. Nor have I heard that preached in any of the churches I've attended. Granted to number that I "know" is quite small relatively speaking.
I'm not a very international person, so maybe there are Christians who believe that and I just don't get out enough to know it. :)
As an aside- never heard that the Babylonian king was cast down from heaven to Earth either.

I've "tried" to steer clear of any specific arguments in this thread, and I don't mean to be argumentative now, but the above statement is inaccurate, or at least painted with too broad a brush.
Not all Christians believe that. None, in fact, that I personally know and interact with believe that. Nor have I heard that preached in any of the churches I've attended. Granted to number that I "know" is quite small relatively speaking.
I'm not a very international person, so maybe there are Christians who believe that and I just don't get out enough to know it. :)
As an aside- never heard that the Babylonian king was cast down from heaven to Earth either.

from wikipedia
Satan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mainstream Christianity's understanding of the holy Hebrew scriptures, the Torah, Satan is a synonym for the Devil. For most Christians, he is believed to be an angel who rebelled against God— and also the one who spoke through the serpent and seduced Eve into disobeying God's command. His ultimate goal is to lead people away from the love of God — to lead them to fallacies which God opposes. Satan is also identified as the accuser of Job, the tempter in the Gospels, the secret power of lawlessness in 2 Thessalonians 2:7, and the dragon in the Book of Revelation. Before his alleged insurrection, Satan was among the highest of all angels and the "brightest in the sky." His pride is considered a reason why he would not bow to God as all other angels did, but sought to rule heaven himself. The popularly held beliefs that Satan was once a prideful angel who eventually rebels against God, however, are barely portrayed explicitly in the Bible and are mostly based on inference. Moreover, in mainstream Christianity he is called "the ruler of the demons" (Matt. 12:24), "the ruler of the world" and even "the god of this world." (2 Cor. 4:4). The Book of Revelation describes how Satan will be cast out of Heaven, down to the earth, having "great anger" and waging war against "those who obey God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus". Ultimately, Satan is thrown into the "lake of fire" (Revelation 20:10), not as ruler, but as one among many, being tormented day and night for all eternity.

In other, non-mainstream, Christian beliefs (e.g. the beliefs of the Christadelphians) the word "satan" in the Bible is not regarded as referring to a supernatural, personal being but to any 'adversary' and figuratively refers to human sin and temptation.[14]

The description show a fallen angel that can appose God and has the power to challange him. This however is impossible in the Jewish Faith, and Satan is a servent of God not making a move without his permission like other Angels.
Now I thought the quote above fits pretty well with my admittedly meager understanding of Christianity.

So I've been gone for the last week, now its time to play catch-up...

Warthaug,
A while back you suggested Neanderthal to be a complete separate species. It would seem that at least some evidence suggests you're wrong. The Lagar Velho 1 Skeleton

The data I based my statement on is much newer than that skeleton. Indeed, upto about 1 year ago many scientists thought neandertals weren't truly a separate species, and instead represented a sub-species at best. The skeleton you mention was one piece of data used to support that contention, along with some other data. For example, the microcephaly gene was thought to have neandertal origins.

However, we are now sequencing the neandertal genome - two groups are perusing this using different techniques (but the same neandertal DNA). Some of the draft sequence has been released, and that data shows signs of divergence, rather than convergence, which is inconsistent with us interbreeding. Unfortunately, due to the highly fragmented nature of the DNA it'll probably be a few more years until we have a full picture. Heres a small sampling of what has been released:

Sequencing and Analysis of Neanderthal Genomic DNA -- Noonan et al. 314 (5802): 1113 -- Science
Analysis of one million base pairs of Neanderthal DNA : Abstract : Nature
Current Biology -- Krause et al.

At this point in time it is safe to say that we are separate species, based on the cladistic definition of species. Whether or not cross-breeding (viable or otherwise) was possible will have to wait further analysis.

...and also talkorigins doesn't dismiss macro and micro evolution as one. They distinctly denote the two.

More accuratly, they acknowledge that the two terms exist, and go through great lengths to explain what they mean. Keep in mind I never once said the two terms don't exist - rather I stated that they are not used much in science as they are describing the same process, and merely indicate the scale of change.

Not one article in talkorigins (that I'm aware of) makes any claim which would conflict with the above. In fact, they have two articles which pretty much duplicate what I claimed:

Macroevolution: Its definition, Philosophy and History
CB902: Microevolution vs. Macroevolution

Bryan

Look evolution says things happen slowly over time. The problem is you don't have a fossil record to support this.

Au contraire, we have exactly that, in many different lines of organisms. I already pointed out horses in a past post; guess you didn't bother following up on those links. we also have complete sequences of whales, birds, and so forth. In many of those cases the argument isn't "where is the missing species", but rather "is this a different species, or just a transitional?".

Had you followed up on the citation I provided vis-a-vis horses you'd have seen that.

What you have is one species, then another.

As pointed out above, this is an absolute falsehood. The fossil records of horses, birds, snakes and whales are full of intermediaries.

So either major adaptations took place rapidly, or they don't but you can't have it both ways.

Actually, we can, depending on how you define "rapid". You seem to be under the false belief that evolution goes at one speed. It does not. Compared to human lifespans it is a slow process, but the speed at which it goes does vary greatly. Punctuated equlibria being an example of "high gear", and classical darwinianism as an example of "low gear".

If you have large scale adaptations, then shouldn't we at least have witness one in the animal kingdom in written history?

Define "large scale". Changes in biochemistry, morphology and colouration have been observed. Changes on the order of new families, etc, occur so slowly that observing it during recorded scientific history would prettymuch disprove evolution.

Bryan

..."an existing transporter has been coopted for citrate transport under oxic conditions." Lenski then says that "This transporter may previously have transported citrate under anoxic conditions," or "it may have transported another substrate in the presence of oxygen."...

Either way, no new functional information has been added.
Have the bacteria evolved? Sure. But this is not the kind of evolution that could eventually change said prokaryotes into fungi or plants or animals over time.

Why not?

These types of mutations haven't added the functional specificity that would be required.

This seems a lot like hand-waving to me. At the end of the day these bacteria have a new biochemical function - aerobic metabolism of citrate. You can whine about the mechanism all you want, but at the end of the day that is a new biochemical trait. And in the realm of energy generation this is a huge change. After all, the way e coli generates ATP is identical to the way we do it. No huge jumps needed to go from one to the other.

Edit: Yes, they were more fit for their environment, but they did lose functional specificity (or at least early evidence seems to suggest that based upon Lenski's own words) and even lost other functions as well.
Mechanisms Causing Rapid and Parallel Losses of Ribose Catabolism in Evolving Populations of Escherichia coli B -- Cooper et al. 183 (9): 2834 -- The Journal of Bacteriology
It seems all the lines of e. coli lost the ability to catabolize ribose.

You're mixing and matching papers to support a claim not made by the researchers. To be short, the citrate metabolizing e coli were derived from SEPARATE STRAINS from the ribse-deficient and DNA-repair defective strains. THE CITRATE-METABOLISING STRAINS CATABOLIZE RIBOSE JUST FINE.

Historical contingency and the evolution of a key innovation in an experimental population of Escherichia coli — PNAS

For example, in regards to the mutation rate:
"In fact, the mutation rate of the
ancestral strain from Cit to Cit is immeasurably low; even the
upper bound is 3.6 1013 per cell generation, which is three
orders of magnitude below the typical base pair mutation rate.
"

Clearly, the DNA repair enzymes are working just fine.

Keep in mind that this experiment has lead to the derivation of tens of thousands of separate bacterial strains. A few of which (6?) lost ribose catabolism; the rest catabolize ribose just fine, and one of those also catobolizes citrate.

And others lost the ability to repair their DNA even.

But not the strains which developed the ability to utilize citrate.

Actually, I don't assume that. However, the "progression," if you will, from single celled prokaryote to all the diversity of life we see today has been explained to have happened via the mechanisms of evolution. I'm not debating the obvious directly observable kinds of changes that are happening (for example the Lenski experiment we have been talking about), I'm talking about the prokaryote to all life diversity kind of evolution.

It's all the same process - you cannot just divide it up into "acceptable" evolution and "not acceptable" evolution.

And, at the end of the day, the conclusion is supported by evidence. If you think its wrong you need to provide evidence that is the case. Whining that "we don't see it happening today" doesn't cut it - it took 2.5-3 billion years to go from simple bacteria to the simplest of eukariotes. To expect to see that kind of change again, within the 30 or so years science has been able to monitor those things, is pure idiocy. The simple fact that it took 2.5-3 billion years to do it the first time pretty clearly shows its a rare and seldom set of changes that are unlikely to occur again.

EDIT: This is worth adding. Modern eukariotes arose as a product of cooperative parasitism; basically our energy-generating organelles are bacteria that we paracitized (or vice-versa). So the "jump" to eukariot-ism wasn't much of a jump, genetically speaking. In fact, this form of paracitism is observed among bacteria today - Bdellovibrio and e coli for example. Likewise, and as pointed out earlier, most of the other major steps needed to make a man from bacteria has also been observed - the rise of multicellularism has been observed more than once. Speciation has been observed several thousand times, changes in morphology, new biochemical pathways, etc, etc, etc. So at the end of the day many of the steps known to be involved in making "bacteria into men" have been observed occurring separately. All that is missing is seeing them all happen in sequence - and if you happen to have 4 billion years of free time, you may just witness that as well.

EDIT of an EDIT: Just to add to the above, many bacterial species today actually have evolved mechanisms to avoid the eukaryote-type parasitism I described above. Some species of bacteria will actually commit suicide to prevent falling subject to the "tyranny of the eukaryote".

It seems that kind of evolution going on in the Lenski experiment (and others) does not show the kind of evolution that could possibly produce the entirety of living organisms we see today from prokaryotes...even given lots of time.

There is only one kind of evolution, so yes, the Lenski experiment shows exactly that. At the end of the day his experiment demonstrated the evolution of a novel function where that function did not exist previously. Put tens of thousands of those together and you're in for some big changes.

Just Lenski's own words from the PNAS paper giving his 2 possible explanations for the mechanism...both of which do not take into account gene duplication.

And? Gene duplication is not required to gain a new function. Its only required if you want to have a good chance at gaining a new function without loosing a prior function.

And you also failed to mention he didn't eliminate the possibility of gene duplication either - he was pretty clear that he did not know what the mutation was, and until he does no one can make conclusions as to whether or not a duplication occurred.

Maybe after he gets the details worked out we will know more. But thus far, it seems that mutation followed by a decrease in functional specificity has resulted.

Remember, e. coli can already utilize citrate. They only needed a way to get the citrate into the cells in oxic conditions. And based on early evidence, it seems loss of specificity is the explanation.

No, based on the evidence no conclusion can be made. You desperately want this all to not be true, so you pick the one conclusion which is consistent with your religions beliefs. We scientists don't have that option - we have to consider the facts. That is why Lenski did not make any conclusions vis-a-vis mechanism, and why I pointed out several mechanisms by which it could have occurred. The facts are not in, so therefore there is no explanation, and any claims such as yours are nothing more than a shot in the dark.

Bryan

Last edited:
Yes, the same is true of these bacteria. They have lost functional specificity. Thank you, I have been saying that for some time now. It seems so far that the reason they are better able to use citrate is because of a decrease in the specificity of a transporter. How much more specificity loss would there need to be before this transporter can then allow toxins into the cell...or anything else?

I'm getting tired of saying this, so I'll bold the text and hope it sinks in:

There is no evidence to suggest that a loss of specificity is the mechanism. There are multiple possible explanations for the phenotype seem, one of which is loss of specificity (or, alternatively, expansion of ligands). Your "conclusion" is not based on any existing data, but rather your opinion. There simply is insufficient evidence to make any conclusion as to the mechanism by which citrate transport was gained.

As for your claims about toxins, well lets just say as someone who studies the occasional transporter and toxin as part of his day job, I find your understanding of transporters . . . amusing. And completely devoid of even a basic understanding of how transporters, or toxins, work.

And according to your statement above that the lab was their previous environment, the Cit+ bacteria are are vastly weaker than their Cit- counterparts (as posted earlier with a quote by Lenski from his PNAS paper).

No, they are less fit in the original, high glucose environment than the parental strains. Which is exactly what one would expect after 30,000+ generations of divergence in a radically different environment.

So again, yes, the Cit+ bacteria are much more fit for the environment Lenski created for them. And, yes, they are much less fit in their previous environment. And, yes, mutations can cause increased fitness to an environment, however, it seems this comes about via loss of functional specificity...as stated before, of course.

And, as pointed out before, your last conclusion there is an invention of your own mind and not supported by the data. What those experiments show is exactly what evolution predicts - that when faced with a new environment a species will evolve to better survive in that environment. That they loose functionality in their old environment, or loose functionality in old genes is in now way, shape or form changes the fact that evolution has occurred which improved the species ability to survive.

Bryan

I, too, have been gone for a while and am just catching up. Ironically enough, I was in the Galapagos Islands. Although new government regulations prevented me from spending much time on land, I was able to see one of the species of land tortoises to be found on the different islands, and I saw one set of the Darwin finches. Of course, I could not see all of the varius Darwin finches that had adapted to the differing environments in the area, but it was fun to see one of them, at least.

It made me very grateful that Noah was able to get there in time to save all these different and unique species of animals from the flood.

I wonder how much space all those tortoises must have taken up in that ship. I reckon a decent pair of tortoises would run at least 5 cubic cubits apiece. Of course, that would depend upon which version of the flood we are talking about, and whether giant tortoises are clean or unclean, which I frankly don't know. The two flood stories, one starring Elohim and one staring Yahweh, are nicely interwoven. Elohim tells Noah to take all animals by twos (Genesis 6: 12-22). When Yahweh starts giving commands (Genesis 7: 1-9), he tells Noah to bring 7 pairs of clean animals and 1 pair of unclean animals. (I wonder if Elohim and Yahweh argued about this point.) I think there are 14 different giant tortoises on the Galapagos, so if they are clean, that's a pretty good pile of shells to haul on board--about 2,000 cubic cubits worth.

The different Darwin finches must have taken a lot of room, too. I mean, finches are small, but it is hard to imagine them sitting in huddled masses for 40 days and 40 nights. When Yahweh counteracts Elohim's commands, he tells him to bring 7 pairs of all the birds. (Just think, if Noah had not saved all of those different versions of Darwin finches, Darwin might have lost an inspirational moment, and we might not be arguing about this now.)

Based on my experience in the Galapagos, I would imagine the 7 pairs of frigate birds were a problem. They were flying over our boat one day while we were taking is some rare sun, and one of them dropped a message right on me. If they did that sort of thing for 40 days and 40 nights, it would be a real mess in that hold. I wonder who had to clean that stuff up.

The Bible does not say whether Noah got to the Galapagos before or after he got all the unique species in New Zealand or Australia or China. Actually, the Bible also does not tell us how he got to those places to gather those animals. Maybe they all came to him, which would kind of make the whole idea of the ark pointless if they were able to swim across the ocean to get on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom