Creature identification help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RubberDucky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
To start, unfortunately I have no picture to provide.

I did a night dive in front of the Paprika/Tikila location recently, and I saw perhaps the most unusual creature I've seen to date. I'm hopeful that I can describe it sufficiently so that someone can say or guess what it was.

In shallow waters (less than 30 feet) on the bottom of the ocean floor, and not attached to anything that I could see, I noticed a small (only an inch or 2), spherical shaped white-ish colored object. Protruding from or near the top of the object was what I can only describe as a round shaped, webbed object similar to one of those little umbrellas that you would get in alcoholic beverage (without the stick that connects to the umbrella). The color of the "umbrella" was orange.

When I got near this mysterious oceanic curiosity (within 10 feet, perhaps), the orange webbed umbrella protrusion sucked back into the spherical body, just like spirobranchus giganteus, or the common christmas tree worms.

If necessary, I can try to attach an image of a crude drawing.

Any takers?

Feather duster worm for sure. Thanks for your help!

It looked very similar to this:

mUXte.png

Back
Top Bottom