Cressi Giotto and Newton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to get a backup computer. I already have a Cressi Giotto and have been looking to get another one, so that I'll have something with the same algorithm. I've noticed that Cressi released the Newton, which seems to be a slimmer, fancier(?) Giotto.

1. The Newton can be used as an everyday watch. I don't know how much of a drain that is on the battery, so I would rather use it just as a dive computer. Is it possible to only have the Newton as a dive computer? Basically turn it on and once it reaches a certain depth, it starts working as a dive computer, like the Giotto? I saw something in the manual about switching it to dive mode. The Giotto is always in dive mode so activates once you hit start-the-dive depth.

2. I read in the manual that the Newton can be turned off by holding the light button for 5 seconds, at which time it loses both time and date? This sounds like a true off, with no battery drain. Is there an off, where time/date aren't displayed, but it's still able to keep track of time? (The Giotto seems to be able to be off and still track time.)

3. The Newton's PC Link interface looks completely different than the Giotto's, but since both probably communicate by infrared pulses , can the Newton be placed on the Giotto's PC Link interface and have the download work? Anyone try this?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom