Cressi Leonardo / Giotto or Oceanic or Vyper ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Aeris Manta immediately comes to mind, at $200.
Was $200 on Aeris closeout.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2015 at 03:38 PM ----------

I am not sure why you tried to answer the questions I had for the OP but I do feel a little clarification is needed to give the OP an intellect answer rather than just telling him our personal preferences or biases.
Because I think your questions are somewhat off the mark. I don't know what the prices and/or exchange rates are in Hong Kong. Centrals does. And Leonardo is specifically mentioned in bold right up in the topic.
For the problem as stated: $200-300 range and known algorithm, the current best bang for the buck are DG03 and the last of $200 Aeris A300 closeouts on Amazon -- if they can get it shipped. DGX does ship internationally.

Because I think your questions are somewhat off the mark. I don't know what the prices and/or exchange rates are in Hong Kong. Centrals does. And Leonardo is specifically mentioned in bold right up in the topic. For the problem as stated: $200-300 range and known algorithm, the current best bang for the buck are DG03 and the last of $200 Aeris A300 closeouts on Amazon -- if they can get it shipped. DGX does ship internationally.
Well there ya go. Discussion over. Yet another decision made by SB, without any additional input from the op.

Well there ya go. Discussion over. Yet another decision made by SB, without any additional input from the op.
Look, I meant what I wrote: I was questioning your questions. Not your motivations for asking them.
I know what's best for me: a wirelessly-air-integrated petrel 2 with in-mask head-up display, petrel-buddy sonar tracker, and a price tag of $50 or less. If you ask me what's best for me from what is actually available the answer will be slightly different. I do not presume to know what is actually available to the OP so I'm not going to advise what's best for them.
All I can say is for a zoop-to-geo2-level computer in the given price range, the best bang per buck is with DG03. The OP can, as centrals suggested, read DG03 manual and figure out for themselves if it's "too complicated". They figured out how to post to SB, I'm sure they can figure out how to download a PDF. They can check with HK customs what it'd take to ship one in, and so on, and so forth.

HK gov is very generous on duty because we are a FREE port!! You can import as many dive computers or nearly anything you want without incuring any attention from our Duty and Excise Dept.
As far as I know only DGX offers FREE International Freight(on order over US$250.00), the rest will charge an arm for the freight eg. a US$170.00 Hog wing will become US$220.00!!!

Sunnto Zoop at HK$1,800.00(US$1.00 ~ HK$7.80) ie. US$231.00.

Incidentally, one of the big dive shops in Wanchai (just moved) is selling the Cressi Leonardo for HK$1,850 (~USD237). The Giotto is quite a bit more expensive and way out of your proposed budget.

Incidentally, one of the big dive shops in Wanchai (just moved) is selling the Cressi Leonardo for HK$1,850 (~USD237). The Giotto is quite a bit more expensive and way out of your proposed budget.
$237 isn't too great: leisurepro has it for $260 together with the $90 usb uplink cradle (i.e. under $200 for the computer itself). IMO the biggest problem with the "very simple very basic" DCs: Zoop, Leonardo, Veo 180, is that between recent closeouts and DG3 you can get a giotto-level computer for about the same money. So you're looking for reasons to specifically pay for a less capable device really.

Sorry for the slow response from my side but was travelling in Cuba, one of few places without internet everywhere. Here are my answers to uncfnp's helpful questions

1) Do you want a computer that will most likely give you the most dive time or something that is more conservation and in theory will lessen your risk of DCS, especially with repetative diving? Your age, general health are a few of the considerations in this decision.

Am 43, consider myself healthy / exercise regularly and, as per stuartv's comments am inclined to a more liberal algo that gives me more dive time but that I can set to be more conservative if need be.

2) Is vision an issue. In other words, would you prefer a larger screen?

Not an issue. Had my eyes lasered 10 years ago and at least 19/20 vision.

3 Do you want simple or something with more features and settings?

Ideally want something that is intuitively easy to use as am a sporadic diver who may not get back in the water for 6 months at a time.

4) Do you see yourself doing more advanced diving, short deco dives or multi gas use in the near future?

Unlikely. Likely to stick to regular air and/or nitrox

I should also say that if prices are better in the U.S. (which they seem to be), I will probably just buy there as my better half if currently based in Boston. After a little more research I am looking at the following prices on Leisurepro.com:-

Oceanic Geo 2.0 - $250
Cressi Giotto - $270
Mares Smart - $300

It seems Cressi is the most conservative with Oceanic / Mares more liberal.

Any thoughts on which suits me best out of these or is the
DGO3 or something else a better idea ?

Thanks

Bought a Oceanic Veo 180 not too long ago on line. It is still selling for just under US$200.00(close out) at Leisure Pro and is a lot more liberal than my old and trusted Aladin Pro Nitrox. The manual is simple but the single button would make the original set up quite frustrating ie I have to go round the whole cycle couple of times to have it set up properly. However, after that it was plain sailing. BTW, i have to change the battery after few dives!!! The old battery probably have been sitting around far too long. CR2450 costs about HK$12.00.
If you can get a Geo 2.0 for 250 then go for it because you can wear it for daily use rather than having the unit sitting in your cupboard for 6 months.

Am 43, consider myself healthy / exercise regularly and, as per stuartv's comments am inclined to a more liberal algo that gives me more dive time but that I can set to be more conservative if need be.

Had my eyes lasered 10 years ago and at least 19/20 vision.

If you
  • don't need reading glasses (and keep in mind you're at the age where that kicks in, but I've no idea how it plays out with lasik) and
  • dive in warm sunny places,

Geo 2 for $250 would be just the ticket: more than you ask for in a very compact unit. An Aeris A300 can still be had for $200 (amazon), I believe it's bigger but otherwise has the same features.

Any thoughts on which suits me best out of these or is the DGO3 or something else a better idea ?

DG03 makes sense if you might want to add air integration in the future. AI gives it most features for $250, but if you have no plans to get your own regs and $400 transmitter ever, you don't need those features.

Of the ones you listed, I am familar with the Giotto and the Geo 2.0.

The Geo will give you the algorithms you want. Its a great little dive computer, especially at that price. The screen is a little smaller then the Giotto and they sell the battery and oring as an expensive package but many divers just reuse the same oring for quite awhile before needing to change it. It is more complex to use because it has both watch and DC setting and so many programmable options but after the initial setup, which can be a pain (I don't think the directions are too user friandly and they use a lot of abbreviations), its not too complicated. A quick review before each trip should suffice. It does have a lot of alarm options that you may or may not want but fortunately, most of then are optional so you can leave them off if you prefer.

One thing I do not like, and it is true of all Oceanic DC's that I have used, they do not hold your nitrox setting more then 24 hours so make sure you are in the habit of checking before each dive. Its a good habit to have anyway.

The Giotto is a great DC too but some divers find the algorithm too conservative. It works for me but then I have a tendency to rash so I dive conservative even with my Petrel. The screen is a little larger and I think more user friendly then the Geo, at least for initial setup. It doesn't have a lot of alarms but the ones it has can not be silenced. It will hold your nitrox setting until you change it.

Both computers have more functions then you are likely to need. Both have 2 gas dive options that you do not need. They also have deep stop options.

Ultimitely, the algorithm may be your deciding factor between the two. That consideration taken alone favors the Geo.

Edit: Just checked the algorthmn of the Mares Smart. It uses the same RGBM as the Giotto and I see no advantage over the Geo so again, looks like the Geo would be the best match for you of the three.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom