How common is wifi Internet on long-distance international flights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that helps, when watching videos you may get a better experience if you use the feature to download the whole vid rather than streaming directly when you use a connection with unstable speed.

I.e. you can use the plane connection to save a few videos if you forgot to preload a few. Netflix has a feature where it will preload a few things based on what you liked, so you’ll always have something to watch too …

A Bloody Mary is a much better choice at that hour...
Perhaps, and definitely more traditional... But there's something about beer with bacon and eggs that's good too. Either way, a little numbing of the pain of travel can help.

And if you haven't had airport beers at 7 in the morning, have you even traveled? :cheers:
I'm not saying that this is a factor in my trip planning, but it might be. For those that judge, there's always a Caesar (but only in Canada I think). If you add bacon to it, it's basically a breakfast stir-fry. (For those that don't know, A Caesar is basically a Bloody Mary, but made with Clamato juice and a bunch of spices.... Kind of a Bloody Mary on 'roids!)

Benadryl and Benedict/Bacon/Bangers/Beer/Bbbbb

I’m on a 16-hour flight from Houston to Sydney right now. Can’t sleep, need to catch up on emails, answering WhatsApp messages & SB direct messages since I am setting up a group trip to Indonesia, as posted here: $742 off on White Manta, Misool-Triton Bay, 15-24 January 2025

So, what the hey, l check on the United satellite WiFi connection. The cost for the whole 16-hour journey ($20 or 22,000 frequent-flyer miles) seems reasonable. I paid the WiFi access with the 22000 frequent-flyer miles.

Now I’m sleepy. I’ll ccontinue it tomorrow.
I value my miles at 1.3c each. So IMO, better to psy $20 on the card in that case!

If that helps, when watching videos you may get a better experience if you use the feature to download the whole vid rather than streaming directly when you use a connection with unstable speed.

I.e. you can use the plane connection to save a few videos if you forgot to preload a few. Netflix has a feature where it will preload a few things based on what you liked, so you’ll always have something to watch too …
Are you suggesting downloading the movie while in flight? With the crap speeds avail in the air? Better to download them on Netflix before you fly. I always download a series or two before a long flight.

I value my miles at 1.3c each. So IMO, better to psy $20 on the card in that case!

My bad. It’s a typo, 2,200 miles, for 16 hours ($1.25 / hr) but your point is still valid. $0.013/ mile = $28.60. Live and learn. I’ll pay cash in the future. Thanks for the tip.

Had a good nap & enjoyed reading SB posts. 1h 45min to go. Breakfast time! This makes 16h flight like what I do at home. In fact I caught up on emails instead of watching video with painful United Airlines cheap earbuds. Next time I’ll bring my good headphones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom