Cressi Leonardo- Too conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

?..//...

So even if the underlying algorithm were 100% identical, there is a lot of latitude for computers to have differing user experiences in the same dive profiles.
Wow. Insights much appreciated.

Have been diving 10 days in the Maldives: I had 3 different computors during all the dives: Cressi Leonardo, Heinrich Weinkamp Sport and Aladin Pro: Only the leonardo was blocked twice durong these dives. The reason. As I have alredy noticed and reported, Le Leonardo start to ""air out" ( or decompress ) at very shallow depth ( +/- 10/15 feet ) while the two other start the process mich deaper. When it comes to NDLs, they were quite similar between the 3 computors.
So. We agree the the 15 foot SS is a pain but why not just do the time at required depth?

Have been known to raise my arm at times as well to trigger the countdown.

Given the info from RonR I wonder, if enough customers complain, if it can be changed in a firmware update?

I've been Giotto user for last 200 dives/100 hrs underwater. Thats my new comp after ole good Archimede passed away after 1000hrs service. i thought new generation of cressi gadget would be better but I was wrong...

First, design. Archimede has nice simple user friendly single button nokia style interface. Giotto has gotten press, select, hold to confirm, hold to exit mumbling interface. seems like there were too many designers working on Giotto interface and noone ever finished it. Leonardo to be honest has less flaws.

Secondly, algorhytm. they switched to RGBM and giotto has become even more conservative then Churchill. as a diving guide, i do 2-3 dives per day. its absolutely common to me to have 8-10 mins of deco after 1st dive, 20-30 min after 2nd dive and even more after third. please not I dont go below 25 meters and surface time is minimum 1:30 but usually 2:00 or 2:30 hrs. Giotto makes me look really stupid when after 10 min on 20 meters I must my group climb to 5 meters to chill down boilding brains of Giotto. as many of you mentioned, Giotto do not recalculate NDL while ascending. which is ridiculous its absolutely OK to giotto to give me 1 min of NDL at say 20 meters, then show me 1 min of deep stop at 11 meters... where I suddenly get ticket for another 5-6 mins of deco. ascending after deepstop takes another couple minutes which would result in deco fine 3-6 mins.

to my experience, its one of the most conservative computers on the market, beating Suunto stuff. no idea how to fix that. the only way that helps is to switch to Nitrox 23-25. but i guess this is even worse idea then buying Giotto.

PS
SF is 0 of course.

I agree. it is not that the Leonardo (Giotto) is too conservative, it is that it does not understand that you are going up, unless you go to 10 feet. This is VERY bad for any diver that "flirts" with the NDL or goes slightly past it. So a very good low price, high viz computor for OW but not suitable for more advanced dives.

I bought this computer for a diving trip to Cozumel, I did 21 dives in 5 days, for that kind of diving on air, it is to conservative.
The computer does not like repetitive dives with short surface interval. I think it would like around 3 hours ( just a guess ) it does not like 1 hour or less. The other thing this computer does is continual to count down the time to DECO until you are above 20 feet.
Look at the 4th dive of the day on the chart, this link was posted by Stuartv
http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf It looks conservative to me.

Bottom line: I am in the market for a new computer because this one is to conservative.

Check out this Scuba Mag 2014 computer test/review. They tested 13 PDCs, using a hyperbaric chamber to simulate 4 real-world dives, with real-world surface intervals in between.

At the end of the 1st dive, which went to 100', then gradually ascended (i.e. multi-level dive) to be at 80' after 13 minutes of Elapsed Dive Time, some of the computers were still giving 15 - 18 more minutes of NDL. The Leonardo was the lowest (i.e. most conservative), giving 10 more minutes of NDL at 80'. I.e., even on the first dive, other computers were giving 50% to 80% more bottom time than the Leonardo.

The 2nd dive was after a 60 min SI, and went to as deep as 70', then gradually back up. At 70', after 18 min EDT, the Leonardo was tied for most conservative, giving 12 minutes of NDL, with others giving 18 - 20 minutes.

The 3rd dive was even worse. After a 120 min SI, the dive was straight to 80', then gradually coming back up. At 40', after 36 min EDT, the Leonardo was giving 2 minutes of NDL. The second most conservative was still giving 17 minutes! And the most liberal computer was giving 72 minutes! With the next 4 most liberal giving 53 - 56 minutes.

2 minutes NDL from the Leonardo, versus 72 minutes from a Liquivision Lynx or 56 from an Atomic Cobalt 2. That is HUGE!

http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf

Which is from this article:

SCUBALAB 2014: Dive Computer Review - Page 2 | Scuba Diving

I think I will be getting zoop for my wife. I done a few deco stop with her... I can't take it anymore!!!

Some more I would be going with her to LOB, and I don't want to be the first few to start to make the safety stop due to this com...

Back
Top Bottom