crime in bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, as most if not all of the previous posters I have to agree that Bali is a pretty safe place.

As you've been warned about the money changers (count your money at least twice and don't fall for the fantastic exchange rates on Jl. Legian) I should add that there is another scam going on: Time Share!

At least in Kuta you will very likely be addressed by people who don't sell something but want to give you a ""lottery ticket"" for free (don't know a better word for it) with the chance to win a car, a DVD player or something else. If you scratch the fields you most likely will have won a T-Shirt but you will have to collect your price somewhere else. They hire a Taxi or a car with driver and you then will have to listen to some really good commercials, all trying to tell you how fantastic and cheap it is to be owner of a Time Share appartment.

DONT'T SIGN ANYTHING, DON'T GIVE AWAY YOUR REAL NAME/ADDRESS/ACCOUNT DETAILS/....!!

You will get the T-Shirt and the trip to their place (and back) is free but it's just annoying, so don't fall for it.

HTH, Andy

Last edited:
Been to Bali twice and did not feel threatened at all. I spent a good week or so in Kuta walking all over and never felt like I could end up in a bad part of town. I was grabbed a couple of times by very persistant "working girls" but it wasn't threatening, I just kept walking. I was offered drugs as well but late at night near the clubs in Kuta. Both cases were rare and infrequent. if you don't want to be bothered by hawkers etc., just don't respond, or say no thanks with no eye contact.

I also went to some clubs, one being "The Bounty" as was mentioned in the article, and it was just typical drunk kids having a good time.

Kuta and the surrounding areas near Denpasar are busy and traffic is horrible. Ubud is very busy as well. North Coast, East Coast, Central Mountains were the most enjoyable places to me. Loved the diving in Tulamben. The only thing that prevents Bali from being my favorite travel destination is that it is insanely busy. Of course there are lots of hawkers at heavily frequented tourist spots, but for how busy it is, I think it is pretty remarkable how crime free it feels.

Outside of the busy city areas of the south, away from hawkers and tourist crowds, it's hard to think of a better dive destination that is so accessible for such a wide variety of cultural experiences. I love the art, the architecture, the music, the crafts... and the people of Bali are angels on earth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom