Critique my Setup About to Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP:
Definitely agree with the Rabbit about the snorkel. You'll probably abandon it in time, anyway, and all the extra valves do at the top is add weight and more of a floppy factor.

The Bio fins - GREAT choice. Have Atomic Aquatics myself now, but the Bios arrive today!
The Brigade - GREAT choice. Zeagle makes a spectacular BC, and I've been thrilled with mine. (I'm upgrading to a BP/W, however, that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality or satisfaction with my Zeagle).
Atomic mask - GREAT choice. I loved it (had to give it to my wife, 'cause it was too low volume for me, and with a 'stache it leaked). However, my wife loves it.
Delta, Viper, Datamax, can't comment on. I've got Atomic B2, Atomic SS1, and Aeris Atmos 2, respectively.

Good luck...
almost exact same thing to report:
Snorkle: Cheap, basic unless you splurge for the type that folds up...
Bio fisns: if you want splits, I think they're the way to go, I too have atomics but have converted to jet style myself
BC: I prefer backplates myself but the quality on the Zeagles always seemed pretty good, only bad thing Ive ever heard is the ditchable weights are a pain to rewire.
Mask: Atomic makes killer masks, but dont buy it because of that, buy it because is the best fitting mask!
Regs: the delta is an ok reg not bad but not the greatest...
Computer: for a basic computer, its pretty nice.

David P:
almost exact same thing to report:
Snorkle: Cheap, basic unless you splurge for the type that folds up...
Bio fisns: if you want splits, I think they're the way to go, I too have atomics but have converted to jet style myself
BC: I prefer backplates myself but the quality on the Zeagles always seemed pretty good, only bad thing Ive ever heard is the ditchable weights are a pain to rewire.
Mask: Atomic makes killer masks, but dont buy it because of that, buy it because is the best fitting mask!
Regs: the delta is an ok reg not bad but not the greatest...
Computer: for a basic computer, its pretty nice.
whats a good reg?

You might find that the Viper breathes pretty wet. Since you're looking at an Oceanic primary/secondary, why not get an Oceanic octo?

Hard to beat Zeagle for quality of product and customer service, so you won't go wrong there (I love my Zeagle BC).

Flightlead:
...In order to get it to seal on my face I needed it so tight that the top pressed uncomfortably hard against my forehead.
I had the exact same issue (had to tighten it up due to the leakage from the stache).
Flightlead:
... when I was doing my rescue cert a few months ago and dragging a LARGE individual from 40' depth... I heard the comment "couldn't have done that with split fins". so why buy them? sorry, many people love them but I don't buy into it. until I see some real numbers from well controlled engineering tests rather than just anecdotal evidence then I will never buy into the split fin thing.
http://www.scubadiving.com/200510_scubalab_fintest
http://www.scuba.com/resources/fin.htm
http://www.xsscuba.com/downloads/2005_fin_test.pdf

(don't want to open a "paddle vs. split" can of worms... but you asked).

P.S. - I'm doing my Rescue Cert next week as well (took the EFR and Dan 02 classes last night!), and one of the requirements was 50 logged dives (as well as AOW). I'm curious if that wasn't a requirement for you? (I don't typically pay much attention to "Logged Dives" -- don't even list my own any longer... was just curious).

EDIT: P.S. Just noticed you were right around the corner from me... Would love to dive with you one day...

Totally Dry Snorkel - I actually prefer a non dry snorkel for the few times I have to wear one.

Apollo Bio Fins Pro - I have never wore split fins but in the local quarry where I dive I have had a buddy who did and he told me that for frog kicks they didn't work all that well. If you are a Caribbean reef diver and you know you like these fins, well by all means use them.

Zeagle Brigade - I have the same BCD, love it.

Delta 3 TDX5 - I'd go with a Zeagle reg, your diving environment would determine which one. There are other very good reg manufacturers out there too, and there are some better Oceanic regs out.

Viper Octo - Make sure whatever you pick that it matches the first stage so annuals are easier.

Datamax Pro Plus II 2 - I'd go with a standard SPG, wrist mount computer, and compass. If you want to maintain air integrated go with a wireless air integrated computer, but I'd still keep that SPG.

Atomic Mask - Fit is what matters here, not the brand.

All of the above correspond to my personal preference. If you've never dove with any of these items, I guarantee you will replace at least one of them later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom