Crossed over to scuba from another type of activity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crossed over from skiing. ish.

We used to take 2 exotic vacations every year: 1 week of skiing and 1 week of scuba. My divebuddy screwed her knee at the top of a mountain in Colorado. We now do 2 weeks of scuba.

I would have to second the opinion that snorkeling is a gateway drug to scuba.
Then once people get a taste of scuba they start to slide down a slippery slope. Some people even get into the hard stuff like DIR, vintage, tech, and other hard core narcotics of the scuba world. Amazingly I never heard of "scuba rehab", but I'm sure a few wives would love it if there was one. I'm sure scuba has wrecked more than one marriage.

I don't know any of this for sure, I'm just sayin'.

Can I enrole my husband... he doesnt dive enough for me :crying:

I have observed that former lifeguards easily become good confident divers. I run into many so there is probably a crossover happening there.

I can say with confidence you're probably pretty spot on..

<-- 15 year Red Cross Lifeguard and WSI (Water Safety Instructor)

If I can still play badminton, football(soccer), high altitude trekking ie. young enough, scuba diving won't get a sniff.

I know this feeling. My ankle injury (repeated sprains over a number of years) have left it in a state where I can't play the competitive sport (similar range to yours) that I used to so needed to fill a void.

Also been something that was always on my radar as a "bucket list item" - was always a dream to dive the GBR. I have done part one of that dream (the dive bit) just need the funds to get the second bit (getting to the GBR to dive it!)

Also been something that was always on my radar as a "bucket list item" - was always a dream to dive the GBR. I have done part one of that dream (the dive bit) just need the funds to get the second bit (getting to the GBR to dive it!)

You only live once so make your dream come true.

I crossed over, after a little pause, from 12 years of rock climbing.
I've met several others who switched aid climbing for technical diving.
Its always cool to meet kindred spirits :)

You only live once so make your dream come true.

I fully intend to - just need the money for a trip to Oz (not cheap especially this year as I am buying all my scuba gear). As soon as I can afford it, I will be there!

I would have to second the opinion that snorkeling is a gateway drug to scuba.
The once people get a taste of scuba they start to slide down a slippery slope. Some people even get into the hard stuff like DIR, vintage, tech, and other hard core narcotics of the scuba world. Amazingly I never heard of "scuba rehab", but I'm sure a few wives would love it if there was one. I'll bet scuba has wrecked more than one marriage.

I don't know any of this for sure, I'm just sayin'.
Snorkeling was my gateway drug and I quickly got addicted. All of my time and money is spent on scuba. f I Had to choose between scuba and marriage I would have a hard time. I don't know if rehab would work for me Before I even got certified I I drank the DR kool-aid and bought the gear. And yes now I am starting to look at tech. I am in denial so I say I dive trimix but only to recreational limits.

Snorkeling was my gateway drug and I quickly got addicted. All of my time and money is spent on scuba. f I Had to choose between scuba and marriage I would have a hard time. I don't know if rehab would work for me Before I even got certified I I drank the DR kool-aid and bought the gear. And yes now I am starting to look at tech. I am in denial so I say I dive trimix but only to recreational limits.
Yeah, and I'm sure you tell every one you don't have a problem, you can quit anytime you want, right?
I'm telling you man, be careful, you say you are only at recreational depths on the "mix" but before you know it you'll be a 250 or 300 footer with a daily helium habit of about $500.
You'll find yourself wandering downtown, homeless, all dishevelled, yelling at trees and parking meters, or standing on street corners with a sign saying "need money for scuba, anything will help, god bless"...but you'll have 50K in top end gear stashed somewhere. I'll telling you man I've seen it, scuba will take everything from you, your wife, your house, your friends (unless they are addicts themselves).
If you ever have thoughts of rebreathers admit yourself right away because if you get into that you'll be a gonner.

And they want to make snorkeling legal! Those poor kids.

Back
Top Bottom