Cruise ship...your own gear...storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having a balcony makes it MUCH easier and is probably worth the upgrade cost if available. A balcony is much more fun, anyway.

Rinse everything in the shower and then hang the BCs on the backs of the chairs on the balcony, etc. The biggest PITA diving off of cruise ships is hauling your gear on and off the boat. I end up schlepping two dive bags (my wife's and my own). I try to stay away from cruises, but if we go with our daughter it is often a cruise so I bite the bullet. :D

We went on a cruise this past November and took all our gear. In the small staterooms, your stuff takes up quite a bit of space (whether in the bathtub, in the closet, or elsewhere).

I agree with Jorgy. In the future we will rent. Save the effort of dragging the gear around for the dedicated dive trips.

Also - ditto on going with the local dive shops instead of through the cruise line. It will save you money and you will get a better experience out of it.

I have been on a several cruises and your own dive gear is the only way too go. You are first and formost familiar with your own gear if you dive often and you dont have to worry about how it was maintained. I have seen some rental gear in such bad shape I would not use it in the bathtub!

besides that you paid for it so why not?

I too have seen very poor rental gear.......but I would never dive with such an op....

That is why you need to do the due diligence on the dive OP and confirm it is good solid well maintained gear......

You will need to trust the dive op..........you will get tanks, weights and the boat ride out and back this is especially critical if you are doing your own thing.......so only go with a top rated op........SB is a great place to get feedback......

Just do a solid thorough job with the booking and you will be fine.......

Vacations are for relaxing and having fun, a cruise is a vacation with a bit of diving not a dive vacation......

FWIW....we don't cruise anymore as we love diving and would rather go to an island and do 3-4 dives a day..........:cool2:

M

Two cruises, brought my own gear both times including knife with no issues. The balcony is the way to go without a doubt.

I've done around 12 or 14 cruises on which I've gone diving. I bring my own mask, fins, snorkel booties, regulator and computer. Sometimes I'll bring a BCD. I'll bring a wetsuit if I think the rentals will be too thin for my taste.

I wash and dry my gear on deck. There are fresh water showers on deck by the pool. I let it drip dry on nearby chairs. That way it does not make a mess in the cabin.

Don't bring a knife. It is often a real problem and I've never actually needed one on a dive from a cruise ship.

I book through the ship whenever possible. It avoids problems. If the ship is late arriving, the dive boat waits. If the dive boat is late returning, the ship waits. If conditions prevent diving, I get my money back. The cruise line requires the dive op to have good equipment, people and boats. However, the cruise line does not let the dive op take guests on dives that are particularly challenging ... unless there are only 1 or 2 divers signed up and they are both advanced.

The only place I've been on a cattle boat is Puerto Villarta and even that is a fun cattle boat. I find the divers are about the same quality as when I book privately (unless I'm the only diver).

Hey thanks for all the replys!

I booked private. Aldora in Coz and Neptune in Grand Caymen. It seems they are quality ops and I assume they would have decent rental gear. I do like using my own stuff, but If I don't take fins, BCD and wetsuit we could probably get away with carry ons. Plus we didn't get a balcony, we don't usually stay in the room much.

Thanks again,
Brian

Ack! Your going to the caribean without fins? Even if you weren't diving take fins,mask and snorkel you never know when you'll want to jump in

I have take my own gear on several cruises and in addition to the shower Idea and then hanging in one of the closets, I have taken my stuff back on board and then to the pool deck, they have fresh water showers near the pool that I rinsed my gear at, then hung eveything in the sun for an hour or so on the many rails around the lounge chairs at the pool decks, then back to the room and in the closet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom