Cruise ship...your own gear...storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did a Royal Caribbean cruise. I brought my own mask, fins, snorkel, mesh bag and computer. Was able to rent gear on the ship. That way I saw it with my own eyes and tried it out before departing ship. In both Grand Cayman and Cozumel I was able to bypass getting gear at the dive op. Yes, there were more people on the boat than I prefer but hey, you're still in the water! I agree with poster above, if you're only doing 4-6 dives its too much of a pain to take your own gear especially with airlines hitting you for checked bag fees.

It is true that its getting costly to carry for a few dives. I am going on a cruise in 2 weeks in which I will have 4 days of diving so it will balance out to be worth bringing my own gear but sheeeesh is it ever getting expensive to fly and dive for only a handful of dives.

Whats fuuny about the airlines is they claim to be raising cost of baggage to cover declining revenue yet they dont consider that by doing so they are making driving more acceptible since you can take as much baggage as you like with no extra cost, all the arm room one can enjoy, and save literaly in some cases thousands of dollars. I know this was off topic but had to insert it.

Now as for cruising there are so many ways one can dry gear and so forth, I always dry mine with the laundry lines in the showers.

Our family has been on several cruises with dive gear. We always take our own. Using rental gear has zero appeal to me, and this is particularly so on a vacation when the dives are should be most enjoyable. Trying to get comfortable in someone else's used BC, reg, etc. is no fun. We always rinse the gear before returning to the ship, and generally distribute it on the balcony to dry (We've used the shower also). We usually pack it again for more diving before it's completely dry, though. I use to dive only some ports of call; now I dive every one of them. The gear is a bit of a hassle, but, hey, it's an equipment intensive sport.

Going to Coz and Grand Caymen on a Cruise ship. I already booked with div ops, but was wondering if anyone has ever tried storing their equipment on the cruise ship after it has been wet or how it was dealing with it in their room?

I love using my own gear, but if it's going to be too big of a hassle I might just take my regs and computer.

Thanks
Brian

Sounds like you're doing the same cruise I did 2 weeks ago. NCL Dawn out of Miami with one stop in Caymans and another in Cozumel. I dived with Off The Wall Divers in Caymans and Aldora in Cozumel, both Ops were great. Good thing we booked private ops because all water sports excursions through the cruise ship were canceled in Caymans due to "Government issued current warnings" but we had no problems other than a 3rd shore dive we did in Caymans when we hit some outgoing current.

I did 4 dives in Florida prior to the cruise and 5 dives during the cruise I brought my own complete set of gear including a 3/2mm wetsuit, and my girlfriend who got certified in Fort Lauderdale before the trip had some gear as well including a full 5/4/3 wetsuit she purchased in Florida.

We had a balcony stateroom which makes drying the gear easy...after rinsing it in the shower and giving it a dip in the bathtub.

Don't bring a knife. It is often a real problem and I've never actually needed one on a dive from a cruise ship.

I carry all my gear with me including shears and a knife. Just because you "never needed one" doesn't mean you or another diver isn't going to get snagged on monofiliment on your very next cruise ship dive.

I book through the ship whenever possible. It avoids problems. If the ship is late arriving, the dive boat waits. If the dive boat is late returning, the ship waits. If conditions prevent diving, I get my money back.

I wouldn't book dives through the cruise ship.

2 weeks ago on the NCL Dawn at our stop in Caymans all watersports shore excursions were canceled due to a "Governement warning". Off The Wall Divers took us out as planned, and we had 2 great dives. I was told by a cruise ship passenger who was arguing with the Shore Excursion desk people that they weren't given the option of booking through a private op, that there were no available options other than to go "sit on a beach".

Most Dive Ops accommodate cruise ship passengers, OTW divers picked us up a block from the cruise pier and they were willing to accommodate arrival times and departures as necessary, in Cozumel we walked off the ship and 2 blocks right to Aldora Divers who were ready and waiting for us. Dive Ops aren't stupid, they cater to the cruise ship crowd and modify their schedules as needed.

And the odds are you won't be on cattle boats filled with unskilled vacation divers that go to beat up over dived reefs.

It is true that its getting costly to carry for a few dives...
but sheeeesh is it ever getting expensive to fly and dive for only a handful of dives.

I don't understand this post. Diving costs what it costs, and if you have your own gear you save the rental costs.

Whats fuuny about the airlines...are making driving more acceptible since you can take as much baggage as you like with no extra cost

That wasn't my experience. Most airlines charge for every checked bag, and they charge extra for "overweight bags". Delta wanted to charge me $90 more for a bag that was about 60 lbs..so we did the "airport luggage shuffle" and by moving stuff between our 3 checked backs and loading up our carry ons we got it done with no additional costs other than the $15 per bag charge that we would have paid regardless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom