Cruising to Roatan, looking for diving recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a day SCUBA visit with a non-diver to a weeklong?

Liveaboard off of Roatan? There are already a lot of comments here on SB in re the failing value of that option vs. land based.

You can see it moored offshore of Roatan resorts 3+ out of 7 days a week. It very rarely makes the hyped crossing to Cayos, occasionally Utila, usually staying on the South side, not burning much fuel. all this for 30% more than the two top rated AI’s.

I have not yet found a diver who has done both the RoAgg as well as either AKR or CCV, and declares the expensive boat their preference. Liveaboards have great utility IF they offer you dive sites otherwise unreachable by land based. With AKR offering an easy 22 dives/wk and CCV at 27, the liveaboard dive count thing is specious.

You seem to be saying that your non-diving spouse will not be coming to Roatan. That’s a really good solution. Aint much doin’ for non divers on Roatan besides drinking, and you can do that back home.

At the pier has been created a typical straw market (of this era) with a created beach, 4 person ski chairlift (the mind reels) and the only chance to buy Roatan Harley Davidson t-shirts, probably the most unique gift to bring back. (Std $39 HD price)

If you go “exploring”…The 7 hours you spend on West End with other cruise shippers might sour you to ever spending a land based week there also enjoying the 3x a week ship visits.

Look carefully at Anthonys Key and CocoView.
Thanks for the information. You are correct the wife won't be joining me in April, it just seems like the best option and I figure in April, I can squeeze in much more diving. Thanks again.

From a day SCUBA visit with a non-diver to a weeklong?

Liveaboard off of Roatan? There are already a lot of comments here on SB in re the failing value of that option vs. land based.

You can see it moored offshore of Roatan resorts 3+ out of 7 days a week. It very rarely makes the hyped crossing to Cayos, occasionally Utila, usually staying on the South side, not burning much fuel. all this for 30% more than the two top rated AI’s.

I have not yet found a diver who has done both the RoAgg as well as either AKR or CCV, and declares the expensive boat their preference. Liveaboards have great utility IF they offer you dive sites otherwise unreachable by land based. With AKR offering an easy 22 dives/wk and CCV at 27, the liveaboard dive count thing is specious.

You seem to be saying that your non-diving spouse will not be coming to Roatan. That’s a really good solution. Aint much doin’ for non divers on Roatan besides drinking, and you can do that back home.

At the pier has been created a typical straw market (of this era) with a created beach, 4 person ski chairlift (the mind reels) and the only chance to buy Roatan Harley Davidson t-shirts, probably the most unique gift to bring back. (Std $39 HD price)

If you go “exploring”…The 7 hours you spend on West End with other cruise shippers might sour you to ever spending a land based week there also enjoying the 3x a week ship visits.

Look carefully at Anthonys Key and CocoView.
I just re read your post, AKR or CVR will be my choices and is something similar I did a few months ago in Key Largo. I just wanna dive. Thanks again Doc!

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Based on the information I gathered, I'm going to forego diving on this trip and revisit in April on a Liveaboard.
I did the aggressor liveaboard a few years ago . Great crew and food.

I'm really sad to hear that Fantasy Island is declined. I had a great trip there about ten or twelve years ago. It wasn't posh but food and grounds were right up my alley and the dive op was on point. I hope they make a comeback.

We will be on a Royal Caribbean cruise in December and I'm eyeing two excursions that are both 6 hours in Roatan. I'm currently looking at Fantasy Island Beach Resort and Turquose Bay. Both of those locations have dive shops.
I've read where Anthony Bay is good for diving and there is an excursion for it HOWEVER the wife will be with me so there needs to be something she can do as well. With the beach break she'll have resort access while I'm diving and I should be finished in enough time to rejoin her. So based on that information, which would be the better option OR does anyone have any additional recommendations that I may not have discovered yet. Thanks in advance.
Wondering where you did go- I know this is an old post.. curious - and if anyone else is in a similar situation, I have a suggestion.

Wondering where you did go- I know this is an old post.. curious - and if anyone else is in a similar situation, I have a suggestion.
Since it was a cruise and I was with the wife, I didn't dive Roatan, we took an island tour with a vendor not affiliated with the cruise ship. The tour guide ended up being a diver, so he took us to Anthony Key Resort. The resort was beautiful. The wife can enjoy the resort while I dive! It was so nice we're contemplating going for a week. Now as for cruise ship passengers wanting to dive, I was told that they are very accommodating and at a minimum you could get in 2 dives and make it back to the ship on time. Even though this is an old post I'm still open to your suggestion for when we cruise back to Roatan.

Hi Tigerpaw- I was just going to tell you that I am a non-diver as well and my husband dives. In May, we spent a week at Brisas del Mar in West End- husband dove every morning for 2 tanks and never had more than 4 others on the boat- sometimes he was the only one (with a divemaster , boat captain and mate)- he really enjoyed it. I went out with them twice for snorkeling and enjoyed that, too.
I thoroughly enjoyed our time at BDM as well because there was a small beach, a nice pool, poolside bar and grill and plenty of loungers, etc. The drinks and food were all very good and good prices. Non-guests (adults only) come for the bar, pool, etc. so it would be fine for her there if just on a day trip while you were diving- there is some live music a couple of times a week but there were usually not but a few people there at the pool until lunch time or the dive boats came back- great for lounging and reading in peace. I love children- am a retired teacher and have 3 grandchildren- but I loved that it was adults only and peaceful! I also really enjoyed the fact that I felt completely safe and most days walked down the little dirt street a few blocks worth to poke around the shops in West Bay- I could go for coffee or buy any needed items at the markets or liquor stores, check out the specials at the many restaurants in West Bay so we would have an idea of where we would go for dinner. There are some nice shops and some fun ones like Rusty Fish. It is super easy, also, to get a water taxi from the dock at Brisas to go anywhere in town if one did not want to walk. Everyone was super friendly and nice- the service at the hotel, bar, grill was excellent. We liked not having to rent a car, deal with parking, etc. I booked once several years ago at AKR and ended up cancelling because I was going to need knee surgery and there would have been lots and lots of steps- we also did not really want to be somewhere all inclusive and not close to a "town".
Now that we have stayed in West End, I don't think I would like to be somewhere more secluded but that is just me. You really ought to fly down and spend a few days!

Hi Tigerpaw- I was just going to tell you that I am a non-diver as well and my husband dives. In May, we spent a week at Brisas del Mar in West End- husband dove every morning for 2 tanks and never had more than 4 others on the boat- sometimes he was the only one (with a divemaster , boat captain and mate)- he really enjoyed it. I went out with them twice for snorkeling and enjoyed that, too.
I thoroughly enjoyed our time at BDM as well because there was a small beach, a nice pool, poolside bar and grill and plenty of loungers, etc. The drinks and food were all very good and good prices. Non-guests (adults only) come for the bar, pool, etc. so it would be fine for her there if just on a day trip while you were diving- there is some live music a couple of times a week but there were usually not but a few people there at the pool until lunch time or the dive boats came back- great for lounging and reading in peace. I love children- am a retired teacher and have 3 grandchildren- but I loved that it was adults only and peaceful! I also really enjoyed the fact that I felt completely safe and most days walked down the little dirt street a few blocks worth to poke around the shops in West End- I could go for coffee or buy any needed items at the markets or liquor stores, check out the specials at the many restaurants in West End so we would have an idea of where we would go for dinner. There are some nice shops and some fun ones like Rusty Fish. It is super easy, also, to get a water taxi from the dock at Brisas to go anywhere in town if one did not want to walk. Everyone was super friendly and nice- the service at the hotel, bar, grill was excellent. We liked not having to rent a car, deal with parking, etc. I booked once several years ago at AKR and ended up cancelling because I was going to need knee surgery and there would have been lots and lots of steps- we also did not really want to be somewhere all inclusive and not close to a "town".
Now that we have stayed in West End, I don't think I would like to be somewhere more secluded but that is just me. You really ought to fly down and spend a few days!

Back
Top Bottom