Cuba - where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aljaz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am thinking about a 10 or 14 day vacation in Cuba in Feb/Mar 2010 and am hoping to dive away from the main commercial/tourist areas.

I've not been to Cuba before so does anyone have suggestions as to the best place to stay and dive? My wife and I are both PADI Advanaced and have 250 dives between us.

Thanks

Maria la Gorda is about 150 miles west of Havana. The "Villa Maria la Gorda" has a reasonably well equipped Dive Center (CMAS, SSI, PADI) and has 2 well equipped dive boats (O2 on-board). There are several dive sites to choose from including the Lost Paradise drop-off (55-100 ft) and Maria's Breasts (65 ft), to name a few. The hotel is right on the beach and is air conditioned. There are of course several diving destinations on the island. I suppose it depends upon how much nightlife you're looking for... :)

I looked up their Website it's http://www.villamarialagorda.com/

Where ever you go, dive safe and have a great vacation!

Thanks very much - I'll check it out. Nightlife isn't a big thing for us - just a few decent dive sites, beach and somewhere to eat!

I think you'll enjoy your visit; things are pretty laid back... :)

I have never been to Maria LaGorda, but my fave dive destination is Cuba is Cayo Largo. I have been there in 4 occasions !!!

Cayo Largo is a small island on the south side of Cuba, in the Caribbean Sea, somewhat different from north side who is in the Atlantic Ocean/Gulf of Mexico.

There is not much to do on the island ... only 5 hotels and there are no Cubans living on the island ... definitly not a tourist trap !! If you're looking for a destination for diving and relaxing, this is a destination worth considering.

The only dive center of the island is situated at the marina, and a shuttle will pick you up at your hotel.

For the last 3 or 4 years, this destination has been "boycotted" by divers because of high prices ... 55$US a dive with no possibilities of buying packages !!! But last time I was there, the center's manager told me prices were supposed to go down to roughly what they used to be: 35$US a dive with packages available. If you are interested, you can contact Carlos ( manager ) at buceo2.marina@repgc.cls.tur.cu and enquire about the prices.

If you'd like additional info on this destination, pm me and it'll be a pleasure to forward additional info.

I'm sure you'll have a pleasant dive vacation at any destination in Cuba ...

Hi I am also visiting the main land of Cuba this February 2010 and looking for a place to dive. I am traveling with my 69 year old mother though so we are looking for an adult oriented resort where I can dive, she can kick back, and we can both do some land based activites together. So I'm not looking for a dive vacation as much as a place to go where I can dive. I will be taking all my dive gear with me and would prefer to see fish and creatures rather than wrecks. I'm a Rescue diver with close to 100 dives under my weight belt :p I would also like to hike and bike while I'm there. Nightlife isn't as important as a good beach and nice pool. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

For the last 3 or 4 years, this destination has been "boycotted" by divers because of high prices ... 55$US a dive

Not really that bad a price... ever been to the Cayman islands $100 min. for a 2 tank dive.

I highly recomend Marea del Portillo for the diving and wonderful people.

You can get cut rates on diving if you arrange your diving through Scuba Cuba
Al Murphy is a great guy and will set you up right.

Otherwise the rates are not bad anyways.

I did a two week trip in April. I just finished editing all of the video and put it on youtube if you want a preview of the cuban diving.

The videos are in a 10 part series so you should be able to find them in my chanel.
YouTube - cphinney's Channel

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom