Cuba - where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi I am also visiting the main land of Cuba this February 2010 and looking for a place to dive. I am traveling with my 69 year old mother though so we are looking for an adult oriented resort where I can dive, she can kick back, and we can both do some land based activites together. So I'm not looking for a dive vacation as much as a place to go where I can dive. I will be taking all my dive gear with me and would prefer to see fish and creatures rather than wrecks. I'm a Rescue diver with close to 100 dives under my weight belt :p I would also like to hike and bike while I'm there. Nightlife isn't as important as a good beach and nice pool. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

The resort I mentioned above is exactly as you describe. Great reefs, few wrecks, not a lot of nightlife, relaxing with plenty of excursions and bike rentals etc. Aduly oriented with many repeat guests.

Can American divers get to Cuba relatively easily? Is it worth the trip?

PS> Please don't tell Uncle SAM i'm considering going to Cuba!

It can be a $10,000 dollar fine for US citizens, nobody talks about diving in Cuba. A small vocal group of immigrant americans controls the freedom to travel to Cuba for all US citizens.

I've been to Cuba several times and have really enjoyed the day trips to Cayo Blanco in Cayo Largo. We have seen sleeping reef sharks,silky sharks, whale sharks, huge schools of many types of fish, mantas, eagle rays, sting rays, turtles, you name it. The only risk to going there is that sometimes the winds can blow out a dive and there is nothing else to do on the island.

Even better is Jardines De La Reigna (queen's gardens). Often called the galapagos of the Carribean. Search: divingincuba . com

In my opinion nothing else in Cuba is really worth seeing, although Bay of Pigs is ok, and you can do a bull shark dive in Santa Lucia. Avoid Trinidad, Cuba or any dive site near a signifigant population, it will be completely fished out.

Remember, if you do go to Cuba, bring a few gifts for the cubans. It's difficult for them to get basic necessities, especially shoes.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom