curacao - blue cave question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkelgeek

Registered
Reaction score
After much deliberation and also finding an excellent deal on hotels.ca, we have booked a trip to Curacao at the Sunset Waters resort. I have researched all that I could find on snorkeling there. However a recent check of the SW website says they now offer a boat tour to West Punt with a stop at Blue Cave for snorkeling. Nowhere can I find any reference to a Blue Cave in Curacao. Anyone snorkel or dive there?

Brenda

I believe that is the small cave near the Mushroom Forest dive site. If I only knew where DH's dive log book was, I could be more sure, he did a dive into it, he said it was neat but small, I was with child on that trip, so I was unable to go in myself. Check out www.shorediving.com for some great info on dive/snorkel sites in Curacao.

snorkelgeek:
After much deliberation and also finding an excellent deal on hotels.ca, we have booked a trip to Curacao at the Sunset Waters resort. I have researched all that I could find on snorkeling there. However a recent check of the SW website says they now offer a boat tour to West Punt with a stop at Blue Cave for snorkeling. Nowhere can I find any reference to a Blue Cave in Curacao. Anyone snorkel or dive there?

Brenda

smokey braden:
snorklegeek,
this is the op at the resort you are staying at.
http://www.sunsetdiver.com/asp/whyssdivers.asp
ask them your ? and i'm sure you will get some answers.
tell them smokey and bo say "hey".
regards

Hey thanks! Hadn't come across that website. Will definitely be checking with them when we get there anyway, but had just been wondering if anyone had been to this blue cave. I haven't come across any info on it at all in our searches on Curacao.

Will give them a "hey" for you!

Brenda

Still haven't found DH's logbook, but we have a book of dive sites on the ABC's. The only cave described in there is the one at Mushroom Forest. From the book: There is a dive buoy that guides you to the sites. Mushroom Forest is a little beyond the buoy, while the Cave is directly inshore from it, in the cliffs at the water's edge. The Cave is only 6m(20ft) deep and with a huge entrance, so you do not need to be cave-certified to enjoy the cavern. Shoals of sweepers dash around, orange cup corals encrust the roof, while slipper lobsters crawl around the walls and lizardfish and scorpionfish hide on the bottom. Remember to bring a dive light.

sharon:
Still haven't found DH's logbook, but we have a book of dive sites on the ABC's. The only cave described in there is the one at Mushroom Forest. From the book: There is a dive buoy that guides you to the sites. Mushroom Forest is a little beyond the buoy, while the Cave is directly inshore from it, in the cliffs at the water's edge. The Cave is only 6m(20ft) deep and with a huge entrance, so you do not need to be cave-certified to enjoy the cavern. Shoals of sweepers dash around, orange cup corals encrust the roof, while slipper lobsters crawl around the walls and lizardfish and scorpionfish hide on the bottom. Remember to bring a dive light.

We have since found reference to a "Blue Room", which we think might be what is being described as a cave. It is indeed near the mushroom forest. It's a cave that you have to dive underwater for about 5 m to get into. We'll have to see if we're brave enough for that after discussing it more with the dive shop!

Brenda

I also found another reference to the blue room on the Allwest Dive Shop/Apartments web page. Again it is the cave in the cliff at Mushroom Forest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom