Curacao in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you're confusing Dynamic Currency Conversion (which could subject you to exchange rate differences on the part of the merchant's bank vs the listed price in the store) and a Foreign Tranaction Fee, which is levied by YOUR bank (usually 1.5-3%) for processing a payment to the merchant's bank if it is outside the US.

You can get hit with one, the other, or both depending on the card you use.

Doing transaction in dollars will avoid DCC issues - as there is no conversion. However, if the merchant's bank is outside the U.S. (And your card levies a transaction fee) you will still get hit with a transaction fee.

Thanks for the additional info. I have checked with my credit card company, and they do not charge a fee for using my card for foreign currency transactions.

I'm also going to have to look at this. Very useful info!

I am going to Curacao in April and am looking for advice and suggestions for traveling. I will be meeting up with a dive group so the diving will be planned by the group leaders, but this will be my first time travelling outside of the US as well as first time flying with my gear. I will be traveling alone, so needless to say, I am quite nervous having never gone through customs before.

I have already found some good advice for packing my gear. My plan is to pack my regulator/computer, mask and camera in my carryon. In my checked bag will be my BC, wetsuit, fins/booties, O2 analyzer and accessories (lights, SMB, etc.) Also, planning on carrying on a laptop backpack (as my personal item).

A few specific questions:
1) Should I leave the batteries in my computer and camera flashes? How should I transport loose batteries (I will be bringing spares if possible)?
2) Will I need adapters to plug things in to the wall outlets?
3) What kind of currency will I need? Are credit cards accepted?
4) What's the best way of calling back to the US? My parents will be expecting me to check in daily since I have never left the country before and I don't want to go broke callling them.

Any other info any of you may have will be greatly apprieciated!

Your packing plan sounds perfect. Make sure you put a swimsuit in your carry on too. If your luggage is delayed, you won't have to deal with having to go buy a suit.

I don't know if it can vary based on hotel, but where I've been staying in Curacao you definitely need an electrical adapter. The plug shape is different than the US - like, two round holes instead of the more rectangular ones that we have. I think there's some difference with the amount of power provided (this is not an area of expertise for me!). I've never worried about it and have plugged everything into my adapter, but I think some people get a surge protector or something.

I totally know what you mean about your mom wanting to hear from you. My mom is the same. I'm not sure about yours, but mine is quite content with receiving a text message. I have Verizon and texts are only 5 cents to send and 5 cents to receive, so that's what I do. All the other suggestions are great, but I try to stick to fast and easy. :)

I've stayed at a resort up north my last couple of trips, but I think I remember places in town easily taking U.S. dollars too.

You'll have an awesome time. Don't stress about customs and stuff. You can ask the flight attendants if you have questions about the forms that they will have you fill out. The people at the airport are used to tourists, so just smile and ask questions if you need help. :)

The first line you will wait in will be for Immigration. Don't have your phone out while in that line or anywhere in that area. A lot of countries (the U.S. included) have strict rules about that. Once it's your turn, you will go to the desk and hand over your passport and one of the forms that you will have filled out on the plane. They might ask you how long you're staying or something like that, but it's pretty easy. They will stamp your passport (and I think will give you a little piece of paper off of your form and tell you to keep it until you leave - although I was just in Cozumel so maybe I'm mixing it up. Put it somewhere where you won't lose it, like in your hotel safe with your passport.) Then you will pick up your luggage and go through a shorter line. The person there will ask you if you are bringing anything onto the island that you plan to sell, or fresh fruits/veggies (you can't), pets, weapons, etc.. Assuming you aren't, they will probably just take the second form that you filled out and send you through. They may opt to search your luggage too, which is totally fine. This can be random, so don't worry if they pick you. Essentially, you're going to just follow all the other travelers! :)

Have a great time!

I am heading to Bonaire in March and plan to use Nitrox exclusively for shore diving. Do I need to bring my own gas analyzer?

I am heading to Bonaire in March and plan to use Nitrox exclusively for shore diving. Do I need to bring my own gas analyzer?

I was going to type "no" but the software requires a post to have at least five characters.

Thanks, I figure the shops let/require you to analyze your own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom