Curacao question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does sexy mean nice or clothing optional or a herodian type place?

Does sexy mean nice or clothing optional or a herodian type place?
Lol, don't worry, there are no 'clothing optional' or 'hedonism-like' resorts on Curacao.
The biggest brothel in the Caribbean (I think) is on Curacao, called Campo Alegre, but that's it. Marazul is safe :D

Hi Dan,
My husband, David and I live across the bay from Marazul. We think the diving is best out at this end of the island. The major problem with Marazul is that they do not have a dive shop on location. Ocean Encounters West is a a third of a mile walk from us so about a mile from Marazul (road turns a bit). If you like it out in the country and to be close to the diving, Westpunt is for you. If you need to shop and gamble the Mariott would be a better match. Please stop by and we'll join you on a dive.
Sunshine
Curacao Sunshine - Rental Property on the Island of Curacao
curacaosunshine@gmail.com

Hi Sunshine,

I'm confused, because the Marazul website describes it's facilities as a "dive resort," but you are stating that they do not have a dive shop on their premises and the closest dive shop "Ocean Encounters West" is actually a mile way, is that correct? What is it that enables Marazul to call itself a "dive resort" if it does not have a dive shop on it's premises?

A recently certified diving friend and I are seriously looking at a dive trip to Curacao sometime in late March or April. Where do you recommend staying in the western part of Curacao, and which dive shop do you recommend? Perhaps you have already mentioned this on another post, but what are your favorite dive sites on the west end?

I keep reading trip reports about the Habitat and Sunset Waters dive resorts on the west end that say there are not really any places to eat near the resorts and that all of the restaurants are a 30 to 45 min drive east. What is on the west of Curacao in terms of restaurants and grocery stores if we decide to stay there? Finally, if you do not mind me asking, what is crime situation like in the western part of the island?

Thanks, alashas honeymoon2's photos- powered by SmugMug

Kura Hulanda Lodge is on the western tip of the island and is very nice. It's next door to Ocean Encounters West. I've written more detailed comments on both these places if you search in some of my old posts. When we stayed there, we mostly ate there. We considered a drive to town too long to do on a regular basis, plus the food there was very good. The only local restaurant we ate at out there was Jaanchies. Another place to stay near there is All West Apartments, on the other side of OEW. I have not stayed there.

Habitat is not as far, we often drive to town for dinner and don't find it a problem. Maybe 30min, it seems long at first but after a couple times it doesn't. The breakfast buffet included in packages is ok and it's passable for lunch, but we aren't crazy about the restaurant or food for dinner. (The BBQ night is decent, just don't be in a hurry for anything, but that applies any time.) We usually only eat dinner there if we plan to night dive. We'll eat once or twice at Landhuis Daniel which is not too far, relatively speaking. Then, we'll either go downtown the other nights, or eat at restaurants near Piscadera Bay - at the Marriott, Floris Suites, Hooks Hut, etc. Piscadera Bay is a bit shorter drive than going all the way downtown. The closest major grocery store is also back near Piscadera Bay. There's a smaller store on the way out west.

Hi Sunshine here,
Marazul might like to eventually be a dive resort. The condos are nice and are located on the cliff over the water. I believe that there is a new dive something at the Rancho Sobrino apartments next door but I'm not sure if they have a boat. I can check when I go by. Westpunt is very small. If you look at google earth you will see Westpunt Bay. At the east side is Marazul at the West side is the Lodge Kura Hulanda. I believe the drive would be less than a mile on the road but only because you have to drive around the cemetary and through a neighbor hood. Dive magazines constantly rate Curacao among the top 5 if not 3 dive locations. The best ones are "out west". Our favorite is the one right off Playa Kalki, next to the Lodge and OEW dive center called Alice In Wonderland. Ocean Encounters West runs a nice operation. They have a 2 tank boat in the morning and one tank in the afternoon. But in our opinion, 90% of the dives can be done from shore and at a huge savings. The Lodge is very nice but expensive, All West, Blue View and Rancho Sobrino are much less but cater mostly to divers or budget travelers who are not high maintenance. We have a 3 bedroom vacation apartment we rent and there is another set of apartments on our road as well.
Again the Lodge has nice meals but is expensive. Jaanchies is a local who is in all the travel brochures. He sells iquana, goat, chicken and porkchops, but you go for the experience rather than the cuisine. Rancho Sobrino has a restaurant, there is a chinese food "shack" and we serve food here on Friday, Saturday and Sundays. You can buy local food at the fisherman shacks, at Boca Tabla and in Barber on Sundays. There is a BBQ in Lagun on Thursday nights and there are small lunch places at Kalki, Lagun, Cas Abou, Porto Marie and maybe Daiboii beaches. There is Daniels on the main road, The Butterfly Garden on the southern road and restaurants at Sunset Waters and Habitat. You won't go hungry.
We are from NH. There is always a chance if you leave your skis on the rack outside that someone will steal them. People have things stolen in US cities all the time. Here it's the same. If you were to have any trouble it would probably be with someone breaking into your car. Play it safe, buy the insurance and don't leave anything in sight in the car. There are some beaches that are secluded like San Juan and the site to park for the Superior Producer. But all in all the locals are very friendly and we haven't heard of any physical crimes.
Willemstad is a 40 minute drive away but if your main purpose for vacation is to dive, you probably won't go to town more than once or twice.
Curacao is a great place to visit. We prefer it out in the country. Let me know if you'd like more info on our apartment, Westpunt or Curacao.
sunshine
curacaosunshine@gmail.com

Next time I'm heading to Westpunt I'll drop in to check out the Sunshine.

Currently time is quite short with this whole carnaval thing plus I'm flying out to the US the day the madness ends.

I promise to be by around the weekend of the 16th or so. Are reservations required for lunch?

Don

Back
Top Bottom