Curacao Trip Report - Sunset Waters/Sunset Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My family and I had the privilege of going on a Windjammer cruise of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) this past year. I can say that we all thoroughly enjoyed the trip. I would recommend it to many as you can see so many differing sites and experiences.

Our boat docked at Directors Bay. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how far that is from the Marriott and Sunset, but I would suspect that it would be a bit of a travel to get there. The beach is wonderful, facilities there were clean and there is great shore diving there. There is an interesting fortification there from the early Dutch settlers, and the Quarantine House (another story in it's own right) are easily accessed from there.

There is a dive store (loosely used) where you can get air fills, and rent basic equipment right there at the beach. The shore is a rocky, pebbly beach and I would recommend using fins with booties rather than the full foot fins so as to not damage any tender feet. It's a gradual slope into the water with many corals and species of fishes located there. There are several mooring piers there for the large ships that come in there. There is also the relatively famous tug boat that is shown in all the promotional tourism videos that is fun to dive on. This is a great location for taking someone who is not scuba certified to snorkel while you dive. This way they can see all the fish you are diving with and you're able to dive to a depth of approximately 90' if you wish, off the slope. The clarity is unbelievable; I would guess easily 100'+.

There are several taxi drivers that will be willing to take you to the various sites or to hook you help with dive operations to dive the numerous sites located off of Curacao, at least that we experienced.

All in all, we loved the people, the island, and the experience. Enjoy yourselves and have a great time. Be sure to post your info when you get back on this site, so we can hear about it, please.

Best wishes for your trip!

saholz:
I'll be staying at Sunset Waters from February 3rd through the 11th and this was good to read. I've seen a few negative reviews popping up on Trip Advisor recently, but most of the reviews are still overwhelmingly positive.

It sounds like exactly what my friends and I are looking for...good diving, good food, and a nice beach with lots of sun and warmth. I hope we all enjoy it as much as you did. :D

Stan
New Hampshire
see you there. Our crew is there from the 4th to the 11th!!

Great trip report! We retuned home a couple weeks ago from Curacao, having stayed at the Marriott (January 7-14) and making the drive up west to Sunset Waters for my six days of diving. Lynn, Kurt, Carlos, Steve and the gang run a great operation...not once did I feel the 25-30 minute drive from the Marriott was not worth it. I brought my wife up to Sunset Waters one day and next time, we're staying there...God Bless her!

My wife and I stayed at Habitat November '04 and had a great time. The house reef was an easy and enjoyable dive, just walk down the steps at the end of the pier and swim maybe 50 yards and you're at the wall. Upcurrent one way and down current on the return. A nice relaxing dive at just about any depth you want. The boat dives were very good and not crowded. Mushroom Forest, Boca Table(sp?), Lonesome, just about any site they visit is great. Rent a car to visit town and get supplies from the supermarket and relax and dive and relax and dive and ..... well, you get the idea. Will go back there again for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom