Curacao: West or East side for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polyester1970

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So now we've settled on Curacao over Bonaire and now I'm trying to decide which end of Curacao to stay on.

I stayed in Westpunt before, at the Lodge Kura Hulanda. I liked it a lot, but the only problem was it was so far from town and my wife likes to do town stuff. I actually liked it on that side.

We're also looking at the Sea Aquarium, we have a kid so maybe she'll like that. I also heard the house reef there was pretty nice.

But my question is - are there good shore diving opportunities convenient to the area around the Sea Aquarium? We'll probably drive out to the west side at least a couple times, but it'd be nice to drive less on the other days if there are good sites around there.

BTW - thx Andreas for the feedback on the other thread. Not sure if you remember me, but I dove a week with you guys back in 08'.

It would be a biased answer from me as I also live in Westpunt so you know my answer.
But..... Mark and Suzy are at the Dive Bus; less than a half a mile from the RSA. They have a nice house reef with loads of sightings. It's also 2 dives, along the reef and deeper to the car wreckage. Even if you do not dive with them, stop and they can explain all of your shore diving options.
If you have a dive buddy (or Dive Bus) you can go to the Tugboat. Have your wife drop you at Director's Bay, you dive along the cliff and come out at the Tugboat where she and your daughter are snorkeling.
There is no shore diving at the far east end of the island (private property) but the dives are fantastic. We went with Neils of Dive Charter Curacao. It's for intermediate + divers.
Glad to hear you are returning.

Some more suggestions for shore dives at the East side (apart from the "Dive Bus Reefs" and Baya/Tugboat):
  • Superior Producer (nice wreck but a deep dive)
  • Fishermen's wharf, left and right a nice dive
  • Crash site (some remains from the plane and the USS Erie)
  • Slangenbaai (Snake Bay)
Last weekend my buddy and I also dove to the right at Marie Pampoen (Dive bus) and also that side is an option if you have done the other two dives (shallow or deep) at this location.
They are all not exactly next to the Seaquarium, but most can be reached in about 15 to 20 minutes (except the last one which will take a bit more). I don't know how long you will stay, but my guess is that there are enough places to dive on either side of the island, so if you wife prefers the town and given the fact that last time you stayed at the Western end of the island, I would go East this time.

As a former employee of the Dive Bus I am of course going to recommend that you dive with Mark and Suzy!

The West side of the island is beautiful but very quiet (I am sure Sunshine can keep you entertained though!) but there are a few nice options down at the East side - and most of the shore diving is easily accessible from there - especially if you have some nice folks with a bus to pick you up and take you there!

I would suggest that for shore diving, the East end of the island is much more convenient than the West side, and also a short drive into Willemstad.

Tugboat and Directors are great - Directors Bay was one of my favourite sites when I was there; also dont forget Varsenbaai which I loved and saw Eagle rays there more than anywhere else. Porto Marie is also pretty delicious. Superior Producer is a 15 minute drive from Pierbaai and the house reef there is also great, especially down deep near the car pile.

Enjoy your time on curacao!

Cheers

C.

Back
Top Bottom