Curious about AOW opp's in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife & I will be in Key West for 5 days in March '04. At the very least, we'll do a few days of diving. I'm curious, however, if anyone has experience w/ AOW instructors in the lower Keys.

We want an instructor who is very thorough, experienced, and enjoys teaching. To give you an idea, I took OW in the mid-90's at the University of Michigan where it was a semester course w/ about 24 pool hours prior to a check-out weekend of 6 dives & greater than 300min bottom time. My instructor could have been mistaken for a drill sergeant, but boy did I enjoy the training. While I don't expect (nor have the time) for a repeat performance of this type of training, I do not want to settle for a mediocre "read this book on your own time, will do a couple o' dives, and your c-card will be in the mail" type attitude.

Agency doesn't matter. Instructor quality does.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
Jim

I dove with him for 3 days earlier this month and was impressed enough that I'll probably take a rec trimix and/or wreck courses from him.

He's located near at mile marker 21 (21 miles E. of Key West), and makes runs to places like Looe Key and Adophus Busch.

He offers both PADI AOW and the more extensive IANTD AOW course. . That link also has a comparison of PADI and IANTD courses.

Charlie Allen

I second Charlie99's recommendation of Capt. Jim Wyatt. He's exactly the kind of instructor it sounds like you're looking for. A buddy and I took the PADI AOW course from him in early September. We learned a lot and had a great time.

Thanks. After reviewing Jim Wyatt's website and the comments above, I am very impressed & have booked the IANTD AOW course with him in March. I appreciate the advice, and will be happy to post a trip-report in a few months when we return!

Jim

GoBlue! once bubbled...
Thanks. After reviewing Jim Wyatt's website and the comments above, I am very impressed & have booked the IANTD AOW course with him in March. I appreciate the advice, and will be happy to post a trip-report in a few months when we return!

Jim

You have made an excellent choice. Jim Wyatt is top-notch.

Hey, Jim, just a thought - it probably won't be too much more to add nitrox to the course list. A lot of instructors do both AOW and G-gas simultaneously.

Thanks for the advice, all. My wife & I took Jim Wyatt's IANTD AOW course a couple weeks ago and had a great time. He was organized, experienced, and very practical. I'd definitely recommend him to others. If anyone has specific questions, feel free to PM me for more info.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom