Curious about Cressi Big Eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input. The ds says this Cressi Big Eyes iI purchased is this years model. If it was discontinued it must've been recently?
Sitting next to the Big Eyes at the d/s, was a Mare x Vision (more money, didn't fit), but I did like the strap set up better. I'm going to check to see if they have replacement strap set ups.
Bob

I have one and it's great for warm water diving without a hood or with just a light 3mm hood. The problem I have with it for cold water diving is that I use a heavy 7mm tight fitting hood and this overlaps the mask skirt and affects the seal of the mask against my face.
I did find it to be a little sensitive also to strap adjustment.

My only problem with the Big Eyes is that my face is smaller and I had leakage. I still keep it for my back up mask and have loaned it to needy divers. They all have loved it. There are other Cressi masks with similar design since the Big Eyes has been d/c'd.

I also love the Big Eyes. Atomic's new SubFrame mask has a VERY similar shape plus the industry's only no-frame-breakage warranty.

I also have warm and fuzzies for anything Atomic, so my opinion may be biased :) Either way, go try it out.

miketsp:
I have one and it's great for warm water diving without a hood or with just a light 3mm hood. The problem I have with it for cold water diving is that I use a heavy 7mm tight fitting hood and this overlaps the mask skirt and affects the seal of the mask against my face.
I did find it to be a little sensitive also to strap adjustment.
It is a little different profile than my backup mask. I had to recut the 7 mil hood a bit to fit. Thanks Bob

I borrowed one of these from a coworker for my OW class. The mask seemed to put a lot of pressure on my septum, perhaps it was a bit small for me. It'd didn't kill the dives for me, but made them a bit uncomforatbale. I didn't however have any problems wearing it with a 7mm hood.

Man, oh man. I gave one of those away, free, on Scubaboard. The Bigeye is the worst of the modern masks. Leaks like a sieve. It is designed for a Sumo wrestler or the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Caucasions need not apply.

Remember always the three most important factors in choosing a mask.

1. Fit.
2. FIT.
3. FIT!!!

Choose the mask that fits perfectly even if it is not the brand or model you *thought* you wanted.

I use a BigEyes because it fit me perfectly when I last needed to buy a mask. It fit me right with or without a snorkel or regulator in my mouth. Remember to test both with and without a reg or snorkel.
The shop had older and newer model BigEyes and the older model fit better than the new one. The new model came with a nice case but I bought the older one that fit better, I can always get a container to use as a case.

If clearing is hard then change your technique. The mask is low volume and easy to clear but may require a different angle than you are used to.

Back
Top Bottom