Curious Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

angryguy777

Registered
Reaction score
Studying in Australia, go to college in Ithaca, NY
I was doing some diving off of Brisbane last weekend and we were on a wreck at about 70-80 fsw. I was inside the wreck with some other divers (it's artificial, huge holes cut in it) and I happened to see a lionfish swimming around inside. Lionfish are my favorite fish so I was quite excited to see one. So I sat there on my stomach just watching him with his spines fully flared and then he began to swim towards me. He eventually got so close that I had to physically back up because I was afraid of getting a face full of poison. Then he sat down right in front of me, about a foot away and we just sat there staring each other in the eye for a few minutes. At this point I noticed my buddies had swam away (grrr...) so I had to leave my new friend. However, it was a pretty cool experience just to sit there with this fish and look at him.

Anyone ever have a lionfish so interested in them? I've never had one swim AT me before, but any chance for me to get near one of these creatures is fun for me.

I like lionfish so much because they look spectacular and are easy to observe once you find one. It seems like most other fish crap themselves when they see a diver and swim off. Lionfish on the other hand know they won't be messed with and seem to be cool with divers. Well, that's my story, hope everyone enjoyed.

-Zak

angryguy777:
I was doing some diving off of Brisbane last weekend and we were on a wreck at about 70-80 fsw. I was inside the wreck with some other divers (it's artificial, huge holes cut in it) and I happened to see a lionfish swimming around inside. Lionfish are my favorite fish so I was quite excited to see one. So I sat there on my stomach just watching him with his spines fully flared and then he began to swim towards me. He eventually got so close that I had to physically back up because I was afraid of getting a face full of poison. Then he sat down right in front of me, about a foot away and we just sat there staring each other in the eye for a few minutes. At this point I noticed my buddies had swam away (grrr...) so I had to leave my new friend. However, it was a pretty cool experience just to sit there with this fish and look at him.

Anyone ever have a lionfish so interested in them? I've never had one swim AT me before, but any chance for me to get near one of these creatures is fun for me.

I like lionfish so much because they look spectacular and are easy to observe once you find one. It seems like most other fish crap themselves when they see a diver and swim off. Lionfish on the other hand know they won't be messed with and seem to be cool with divers. Well, that's my story, hope everyone enjoyed.

-Zak
hey what up, i work in a aquarium store and the lion fish seem to like the attention in the wild but when their in captivity their panzies

If you want to play with lionfish, come back home to NC. We have a growing population off our own shore. I love them too.....but in the pacific, please. I hate to say that I hope they do an eradication program here. They are spreading at such an alarming rate, I doubt they can be stopped anymore.

kill the lionfish !!

On sites where there's a lot of night diving, or use of lights (like the wreck you were on?) lionfish will often behave the way you saw. As divers light up small fish with their flashlight and often dazzle them so the lionfish can leap in and grab a quick takeaway meal courtesy of the diver. I've dived numerous sites here in the Red Sea where they've learned the trick.

Allison Finch:
If you want to play with lionfish, come back home to NC. We have a growing population off our own shore. I love them too.....but in the pacific, please. I hate to say that I hope they do an eradication program here. They are spreading at such an alarming rate, I doubt they can be stopped anymore.

I'm already planning my wreck diving trip =]. But really, what's wrong with more lionfish???

Interesting note about the dive lights. I don't think that's what was causing this particular fish's behavior, but I have heard of fish using lights to hunt at night. Interesting stuff..

-Zak

Yup, lionfish seem to either like divers who are more or less still or they think we offer some good protection or something. We do not night dive these sites, so it isn't an attraction to lights...

This happens a lot on my dives as I am endlessly entertained by these guys...often they'll move in so close that I can't get the whole head in the WA shot! LOL

Yet another example of why slow diving is great diving!

I think the lionfish around here may have seen too many divers and are jaded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom