Curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atownscubaman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Ok.....I am 12 years old and I just got certified last week. Im so excited about scuba diving. My family and I are taking a trip to the Grand Bahamas on memorial day weekend and I have a few questions. First of all I really need to know what to wear while diving :06: Second of all, What kind of fish am I going to see? And well thats about all. Please write me back.

BYE

First of all congratulations on your certification, I wish I'd started when I was 12 :)

As regards the Bahamas I dug up this site which might be of use to you http://www.bahamasdiving.com/. It seems to cover a fair deal about the diving there.

Water temperatures will be in the range of 75 - 80F ( 24 -26C). How much protection you wear depends on how cold you get. 80F is about the average temperature for an indoor swimming pool so take that as a guide to the warmest it'll get.
You'll probaby at least need a 3mm suit if not more.
Me, I get cold in water below 82F (28C) while others are still wearing t-shirts and shorts so go with what you feel comfortable and warm in. If you're not cold the dive will be a lot more fun

So have a great trip and let us know how you get on
Cheers

I usually wear a shorty, but like everyone says, it depends on how easily you get cold. This page isn't long enough for all the fish you'll see, but make sure you slow down and look at the little stuff. There are some amazing little critters tucked into the nooks and crannies of the reef, and you won't see them if you're rushing around looking for big stuff.

I'd recommend a 3mm full suit. Will protect your arms and legs. I had a friend who was in Cuab a while back and ran into some jellyfish. He has some nasty looking scars on his arm (was wearing a shorty) to remind him of his trip.

I agree with the others that you should try and get a 3mm suit. Since you are still growing I would recommend your parents rent one. The water may not feel all that cold to you at first without a suit but you will slowly get colder the longer you are under water. I also like the protection the suit gives me because sometimes I like to kneel on the sand under water and just look around. BUT REMEMBER, never kneel on or touch the reef. Also try and stay as dry as possible while you are on the surface, it conserves energy. Of course at 12 years old you probably won't be lacking in the energy department :)

Copied this from another post (Google is a wonderful thing)
http://www.go-abacos.com/clim/#anchor2410304
Get a dive skin (cheap and lightweight); this will protect your skin if you find it is warm enough for just the skin or a shorty. As they say above, when you get there, you can rent whatever suit is needed. I doubt that you'll need much unless you stay down way too long (for your first trip).

Remember the surface interval - you'll be really stoked when you see how great it is. Let us know how the trip goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom