Custom dive gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can modify the glove yourself, but just be sure you can still thumb the dive if your hand gets cold.

I can just use my left hand for the signaling. But that is a big concern, the right hand gets cold quicker but I don’t have as much sensation in the area. So it’s harder for me to know whats going on with it at times.

Thanks every, basically I was thinking what most said and trying to modify the glove I already own. Don’t see and have never worked with neo before. But I guess it couldn’t be that bad to give it a try. Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions.
If the material is very thick, or difficult to sew with a machine (or you don't have one), look into leather-sewing kits.

Another option.

Leave the thumb intact. Stuff the glove with this.

Hide the hand pre-dive. At least until gloved, and have the thumb flop onto the deck post-dive while grasping your hand in agony. Would be memorable.

Okay, I‘m an older diver, and in the 1960s we made our own gloves. Some have mentioned taking a glove to a local taylor and have them sew the thumb part shut. Well, sewing the nylon on a neoprene wet suit or glove is not something these commercial taylors can do, as the sewing on a wet suit must not penetrate through the whole material. Why? Because that leaves little holes in the material, which will pump cold water in and out of the glove. It will be really cold.

Get some 5mm wet suit material (sheet), put your hand down on it and draw an outline of your hand, allowing about half an inch of extra material on the fingers, and maybe a bit more for the hand (maybe an inch). A little-known secret of our old-style cold water gloves, which we made of then 1/8 inch sheet neoprene, is that you don’t need to separate all the fingers. The thumb (which here would be left out) and first finger were outlined alone, and the last three fingers were combined for a much warmer glove (you use the last three fingers together anyway for almost everything). You need to make a mirror image of this for the other side of the glove.

Take the neoprene cement, and coat the surfaces with the neoprene (the edges). Let that first coat dry completely. It usually takes over ten minutes. That way, you have a closed surface to coat the second coat onto. Do coat the second coat, and let it dry until tacky. Then simply press the two edges together. let the glove dry overnight, and you have it. It’s actually pretty easy to do.

Now, if you can find it, use neoprene coated with nylon on only one side. You then have more surface for the neoprene cement. It will be easier to get on and off if the neoprene is on the inside, but will be tougher for barnacles and other sharp things if the neoprene is on the outside. Or, simply use two-sided neoprene, and not worry about which side it is. It will probably hold up well.

Since these gloves are simply cemented together, you may have to do some repairs occasionally, as seams do split sometimes. But that‘s pretty easy with completely dry neoprene. Simply re-glue it using the same technique as explained above.

SeaRat

Okay, I‘m an older diver, and in the 1960s we made our own gloves. Some have mentioned taking a glove to a local taylor and have them sew the thumb part shut. Well, sewing the nylon on a neoprene wet suit or glove is not something these commercial taylors can do, as the sewing on a wet suit must not penetrate through the whole material. Why? Because that leaves little holes in the material, which will pump cold water in and out of the glove. It will be really cold.

Get some 5mm wet suit material (sheet), put your hand down on it and draw an outline of your hand, allowing about half an inch of extra material on the fingers, and maybe a bit more for the hand (maybe an inch). A little-known secret of our old-style cold water gloves, which we made of then 1/8 inch sheet neoprene, is that you don’t need to separate all the fingers. The thumb (which here would be left out) and first finger were outlined alone, and the last three fingers were combined for a much warmer glove (you use the last three fingers together anyway for almost everything). You need to make a mirror image of this for the other side of the glove.

Take the neoprene cement, and coat the surfaces with the neoprene (the edges). Let that first coat dry completely. It usually takes over ten minutes. That way, you have a closed surface to coat the second coat onto. Do coat the second coat, and let it dry until tacky. Then simply press the two edges together. let the glove dry overnight, and you have it. It’s actually pretty easy to do.

Now, if you can find it, use neoprene coated with nylon on only one side. You then have more surface for the neoprene cement. It will be easier to get on and off if the neoprene is on the inside, but will be tougher for barnacles and other sharp things if the neoprene is on the outside. Or, simply use two-sided neoprene, and not worry about which side it is. It will probably hold up well.

Since these gloves are simply cemented together, you may have to do some repairs occasionally, as seams do split sometimes. But that‘s pretty easy with completely dry neoprene. Simply re-glue it using the same technique as explained above.

SeaRat
I have contact cement and thin neoprene and a long weekend. I think I’ll give this a go.

It is very easy to sew and glue wetsuit material, I suggest you try it yourself. Even if you mess up a pair of gloves it will probably cost less than getting a custom made pair. I sew patches on and make repairs to my wetsuits all the time.

74EF3B5A-22B0-4207-9FD2-A1D87E4CF7CA.jpeg
14FF7A40-9C0E-4737-8F6C-596DEDF32B6C.jpeg
7F042C2B-9AE6-47F5-BAC4-623E9D78DB7F.jpeg

They fit like a glove!
373049D1-88F3-42B4-A1F8-B665A5C46760.jpeg

Also, Go Blue!

@grantctobin To follow up here, I asked around and wasn't able to come up with a place where you can get custom dive gloves made. Hopefully you've been able to come up with a good solution!

Kind regards,
Derek & JMJ

It is very easy to sew and glue wetsuit material, I suggest you try it yourself. Even if you mess up a pair of gloves it will probably cost less than getting a custom made pair. I sew patches on and make repairs to my wetsuits all the time.
Right. I haven't had any trouble with sewing 2 layers of 3mm with a sewing machine. It's always more challenging to work with thicker, or stretch materials, but neoprene was easier to work with than some stretch materials I have experience with. To ensure a better seal, you might also use a tiny bit of glue around the seams as well.

Back
Top Bottom