Question Custom harness for back plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calabash digger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone on Scuba board make me a custom harness for a back plate? I do not want a 1 piece ...can anyone make one with d rings and quick releases? Something similar to a Hog harness or OMS comfort iii harness??

Harnesses aren't that hard to make and worth learning how to do yourself. Once you know how to make one, it's fairly easy to adjust as well, which I imagine you'll want to do from time to time. If you're interested in learning how to assemble one yourself, I can start sharing tutorial-videos, parts-recommendations and so-on.

If you want someone to assemble one for you, you'll probably end up paying about as much as a commercial one.

You can also add padding to any harness with something like this:

Or this:

Just out of curiosity, why not a 1-piece? When I made my first foray into doubles, I thought that BP/W looked like a torture device. I got one of the "really nice, deluxe" harness systems, complete with all the quick releases, etc. It turned out to be a huge pain. I went to a 1-piece webbing, found it just as comfortable, way simpler, and never looked back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to proselytize that there is only "one true religion." Do what works for you. I'm just saying that if you haven't used a 1-piece webbing, you might be surprised.

I would love to learn myself...I can figure out how to add the adjustment straps????? Can you show me how to make a adjustable one? The one I use now has two cinch straps to tighten and loosen it..

Just out of curiosity, why not a 1-piece? When I made my first foray into doubles, I thought that BP/W looked like a torture device. I got one of the "really nice, deluxe" harness systems, complete with all the quick releases, etc. It turned out to be a huge pain. I went to a 1-piece webbing, found it just as comfortable, way simpler, and never looked back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to proselytize that there is only "one true religion." Do what works for you. I'm just saying that if you haven't used a 1-piece webbing, you might be surprised.
Well ....I like the idea of the quick release and having a big range of adjustment which makes it easy for me to get in and out of. I am opened mined but the one piece has that torture look to me...:eek:

Starting out, having several pieces and adjustable-buckles is nice, because it lets you add/remove an small amounts of webbing to the shoulder-area without having to adjust everything else. However, once you get mostly dialed in, I 100.0% agree. The buckles start to become more of a pain than they're worth, they can open up unexpectedly, and are simply unnecessary.

Can anyone on Scuba board make me a custom harness for a back plate? I do not want a 1 piece ...can anyone make one with d rings and quick releases? Something similar to a Hog harness or OMS comfort iii harness??

Have a look at the Dive Rite transplate harness. Might be what you’re looking for.

Well ....I like the idea of the quick release and having a big range of adjustment which makes it easy for me to get in and out of. I am opened mined but the one piece has that torture look to me...:eek:
You'll want a semi-stiff webbing for sure.

Anyway, you can technically add buckles just about anywhere along where the 1-piece webbing would go.

I'd generally recommend these:

Or these

And a couple triglides to to ensure the webbing does slip.

I didn't feel like dragging out my backplate, but here's how I have buckles added to my sidemount harness. The plastic buckles I have are okay, but why not upgrade to stainless steel for a little more. I put a piece of rubber (from a bicycle tire) over the buckle to help reduce the chances of it coming open unexpectedly. You may notice a small black mark on the webbing on the last photo, I like to mark the last "good" position just in case it comes undone.

It's the same threading as any other buckle, so you can just copy what you find on 1-piece harness videos or buckle-threading videos.

20220612_164854.jpg

20220612_164920.jpg

20220612_165037.jpg
20220612_165050.jpg

20220612_165131.jpg

20220612_165217.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom