Cutting DUI drysuit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you buy the suit (or have the seals installed) from a local dealer? If so... have THEM trim the seals. If they screw it up, they replace the seals. If you screw it up, you PAY them to replace the seals.

That would be a pretty hard case to sell.How are you going to prove the seal failed because the shop left a micro divot in the cut edge vs a fingernail during don/doff or that some part of your gear didn't scrape it at some point.

That would be a pretty hard case to sell.How are you going to prove the seal failed because the shop left a micro divot in the cut edge vs a fingernail during don/doff or that some part of your gear didn't scrape it at some point.

I'm merely talking about how the initial trimming of the seals goes. Once you walk out the door... you're on your own.

Regards,

Ray Purkis

Hi,

This is Kathy Long with DUI. We have a video up on YouTube at DOGTV How to trim your latex wrist seals - YouTube which has Dick Long, founder of DUI, showing how to trim seals.

I see a lot of comments about your seals needing to be tight.

Prominent tendons can cause leaky seals. You can see the video at DOGTV - Leaky seals? - YouTube which discusses this issue.

You do not want your seals so tight that you are cutting off blood flow.

I would suggest cutting less than the guidelines. You can always cut more off...you cannot put it back on.

If you can get your dealer to help with the cutting I think that is a great suggestion.

And remember you can always call us at 800-325-8439, use our new online chat at DUI Online - drysuits (during normal business hours) or email us at Support@DUI-Online.com

Have FUN with your new DUI.

You do not want your seals so tight that you are cutting off blood flow.
Excellent point! Very good video. Comfortable & warm.

The old adage was " Don't cut your seal, stretch them and wear them uncomfortable tight!"
Using different size zip seals, I tested them in the pool to see how loose I could wear both the neck & wrist seals. Wow, was I surprised.

I was able to get a perfect fit that was incredible comfortable & dry. Plus I stayed warmer due to better blood flow.

Excellent point! Very good video. Comfortable & warm.

The old adage was " Don't cut your seal, stretch them and wear them uncomfortable tight!"
Using different size zip seals, I tested them in the pool to see how loose I could wear both the neck & wrist seals. Wow, was I surprised.

I was able to get a perfect fit that was incredible comfortable & dry. Plus I stayed warmer due to better blood flow.

Right before my neck seal failed I was noticing that it was no longer "very snug" on my neck. It was actually quite comfortable. Prior to this I had always had to occasionally run my finger under the seal to keep blood flowing on the surface, during a dive it wasn't too tight. During this last dive it was dry, but if I got in a head-up position and looked down it would begin spilling air from the back of the neck. It seems to be a fine line between "not too tight" and losing the sealing ability. When I cut the next seal I will err on the side of "that's a little bit too snug"

Thanks everyone for the input.

The suggestion regarding having the dealer cut them for me, while probably a valid suggestion, did not apply to me on this case.

The suit is an 8 year old, never seen water suit that sat in a dive shop in South Dakota. I purchased it off of eBay earlier this year and am just now going to start diving it.

I did use the razor to cut them with the seal pulled over a round object. I used a soup can for the wrist seals and an oatmeal container for the neck seal.

They seem to have all come out very well. Now off to do some pool work!

I have sitech seals on my DUI CLX450, I don't trim the wrist seals, but I need to take two rings (the sitech seals have a trim line about every quarter inch on the silicone seals) off of the neck seals, and the way I do it is use ky on top of an al80, and stretch the seal over it, then it becomes very easy to just razor along the trim line

I've got a size 16" neck, and the DUI latex zip neck seal chart said cut at trim line 5. I actually cut at line 7 (for a 15" neck), and the stretch fit feels about right -borderline snug to almost uncomfortable tight/very slight discomfort swallowing but not "Pelican Neck Ring" tight).

Use EMT shears to initially cut off the cone of a "virgin" latex neck zip seal, then use an X-acto knife (blade & handle) to do the fine trim cut --Use a plastic circular cd-rom storage container as the cutting base (i.g. first fit the neck seal over the container, then start cutting with the X-acto knife at the trim line of choice). Wear a good LED headlamp for illumination, and concentrate on trying to cut an even continuous arc. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom