Dan Insurance Not A Deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first insured my rig a couple years ago, I went with DAN insurance because they paid cash after deductible, AND would cover the replacement of a housing if the camera was toast and you couldn't use the housing with a new camera (just had to schedule the two together on the same line). However, this year when my policy is up for renewal, I'm going with DEPP. Why? Because of the new provision in the DAN insurance that exempts loss of a rig while it's in your possession. In other words, if it slips during the hand-off from a DM to you on a boat, falls overboard from a camera table, or if you have to ditch it in an emergency, it is NOT covered.

While I'm very careful with my rig, and keep it clipped off to my BC, that type of accident is far too common for me to just ignore coverage. So while I prefer cash payouts, even with a higher deductible, I'll accept repair/replacement coverage instead.

As for homeowner's coverage, be very careful there. In many areas, 2 claims of any sort on a homeowner's policy, even if they are for personal items rather than home damage, can mean cancellation of your policy and put you in a high risk pool. Not willing to risk coverage on my home to cover loss of a relatively small dollar item.

Ann Marie:
I agree with the DEPP recommendation. I just sent them my spreadsheet with the info on where, when, how much, serial number and service info. They did the rest.

DEPP is a good choice for low end items but they do reject items will high $$ amounts.. I ended up going the Dan route because DEPP would only cover some of the gear I had, the others they considered too much of a risk.. On a normal trip I have around $20k-$25k of gear with me..

What kind of gear did they reject?? Price range?? I would like to hear some detail on that please.
rich

RICHinNC:
What kind of gear did they reject?? Price range?? I would like to hear some detail on that please.
rich

What happened. I lost a lens and flooded a Nikon's V, contacted H2o and was told lost equipment not covered (lens), get an estimate for repair on the flooded camera, this I did. Camera was insured for $600 repair estimate $400. H2o deductible $250 so they paid $150. After looking around I found a used Nikon's V and lens for $350 so I got that. Via the Internet I took the old camera and lens of the policy then put the new one on with the new serial numbers. Thats when they charged me $15 for adding new equipment. It seems you can not do this but if I had got the old camera repaired it would still be covered or if I had not got it repaired but it was stolen from the house it was covered. The dollar amount of coverage had not changed.

RICHinNC:
rich

fisrt they wouldn;t cover a RB (only $8500) or any of the stuff associated with it (about $5k of accessories)..

I was told (by the agent) they paid a claim once on a rb (it was a 40k claim for a mk 15) and thats when the stopped insuring rebreathers.

they also didn;t want to cover my video gear which was about $10k for the camera vx2000 and housing (amphibico ) plus an addition few thousand for the lighting..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom