DAN "insurance"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
]the debt was never really theirs in the first place.[/i]
[/B]

No, the insured is obligated to pay his or her bills regardless of any disputes with his insurer. DAN provides indemnity insurance. This means they indemnify costs incurred. They do not prepay expenses or provide financing.

The insured has the responsibility to make a claim and to provide proof loss and payment, which he acknowledges he failed to do. Diving is the ultimate sport of self-sufficiency. The diver here neglected a basic and necessary step.

For those of you who are bolting from DAN, I doubt that that the commercial insurance market is any more willing to pay a claim without necessary documentation.

is that they told him it was all taken care of.

How can you possibly know that you need to do something when you're told you don't, and you have every reason to believe you've done everything you need to do?

If not, Dec '02 was Skin Diver's final issue--it folded.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Where I work, we have an expression.... 'it doesn't exist until you get it in writing'. Goes for everything, from promotions, to transfers, to assurances that "everything's been taken care of".

If Husband in the story had gotten the "it's all OK" in writing, he would have had legal grounds to stand on. As opposed to some 'phone droid' conversation.

Lawyers love people with every detail written down!!

Documentation, documentation, documentation!!!

DocVikingo once bubbled...
If not, Dec '02 was Skin Diver's final issue--it folded.

Sorry to hear that.... it sounded like something I would have been intersted in.

chiara once bubbled...
Just renewed my fees last week :upset:

Does anyone know if this is worldwide or more North-American oriented?

Hi chiara,
For the record, DAN- Europe and DAN USA are two totally different entities. Even the insurance companies behind them are different. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you!

KJ

Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. Documentation is always the key. :mean:

Ex. $10,000 Lithotripsy treatment: 1.$7000 to the Litho provider whom gathered Insurance cards, signatures, and 20% of cost. All approved by insurance carrier. 2. $3000 to attending physician whom also gathered the exact same info and payment, with approval as well. By the way this was done 4 times in a 7 week period.

Jump ahead to 2yrs in the future received a bill from the physician for $2400 pertaining to the above treatment. Needless to say I was a little shocked to receive this bill. I contacted them and asked why I was receiving this bill. Their response was non-payment by my insurance carrier.

I in turn contacted my Ins. carrier for an explanation. Their response was that the paper work was filed wrong (actually it was filed over a year after the procedure)in this particular instance.

As it turned out I did not have to pay this bill due to the fact that I had taken care of all the paperwork before even having the procedures done. I can only assume the physician ate this one (probably a tax write-off of some sort?)as I never received notice that my ins. carrier ever paid either.

Lesson Learned: Keep good records it pays.

AzAtty once bubbled...

Keep in mind that the policies cited in the document are recreational diving policies in most cases. Frankly, the policies offered by Vincencia & Buckley are pretty attractive. [/B]

When you refer to recreational diving, would that include cavcern diving and other form of Tech Diving? I primarily do just cavern diving and was wondering if DAN would cover an incident which occurred in a cavern?

Thanks in advance

I'll give the standard lawyer answer: it depends. Different policies have different coverages. From the policy descriptions I've seen, the DAN Master and Preferred policies do not exclude "tech" diving. I assume that's one of the reasons GUE requires a student to carry DAN Master level insurance (or equivalent) before the student can participate in any GUE course.

Exactly what "tech" activities are covered is a question you should ask DAN or other insurer (or read in the policy) before settling on a particular policy. For instance, if you're diving my custom "die-mix" of Xenon-enriched Argonox, that might not be covered. :wacko: There are depth limits (commonly 130 feet) associated with some policies. If you're doing "deep tech" or "deep cave" beyond the recreational limit, DAN Preferred is the only DAN policy that doesn't have a depth limit as far as I know.

I believe I posted on the first page of this thread a link to a .PDF file showing plan summaries that gives a general idea of plan benefits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom