DAN Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only concern on DAN, of which I've heard, is the "must be x distance from your home area." I guess they assume your regular medical insurance will cover you.

You did? Great, then perhaps you can tell me, how they define a pre-existing condition when it comes to diving accidents(not trip insurance)

I'm sure DAN would prefer that you call them, where you'll receive a prompt answer, rather than asking on the forums. As a matter of fact. Every conversation I've personally had with DAN representatives is precisely this. Call DAN. This is THE reason that DAN no longer has a Q&A Forum on ScubaBoard. Answers to these kinds of questions are personal and confidential to the subscriber. CALL THEM. :wink:

No, I'm pretty sure you do not have to be X distance from home for the DAN Dive Insurance, I see no mention of distance there ... that X distance is for a regular DAN member benefit called Travel Assist ... and maybe not even then ... DAN had that question answered in one of their Alert Diver issues a while back I think

At any rate, call them and ask your questions

Me? .. I wont dive unless I have their insurance, and at the highest level offered, Preferred ... for the price of one fast food meal a month, It's hard to justify anything less than that

Here is the best I can find for a policy (also listed in the DAN Handbook):

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/preferredcert.pdf

The 50 mile distance is for non-diving accidents and outside your home country:

Benefits for Accident Medical Expense
Covered Medical Charges
If an Insured Person incurs charges for treatment of Injury due to a non-Diving Accident that occurs
outside his or her Home Country, United States Life will pay the benefits described below subject to the
terms and limitations.
Covered charges means eligible charges that are for Medically Necessary services, supplies, care, or
treatment for such Injury. The accident must occur while Coverage is in force and while the Insured
Person is on a trip that is more than fifty miles from his or her primary residence and for recreational
purposes only. The charge incurred as a result of the accident must be incurred within 365 days of the
accident.

BTW I read exclusion #14 as DAN being secondary coverage to other medical insurance you may have. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

14.a diving accident or Injury for which charges are compensable under Other Medical Expense
Insurance or any services, supplies, or treatments provided under any federal, state, or other
governmental plan or law or charges are paid or payable the Workers’ Compensation or Occupational Disease Act or Law.

To the OP I don't see anything in here about pre-existing conditions except for Benefit C which is for dive vacation cancellation or interuption benefits.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom