DAN Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been certified for a while but really didn't start diving much until the end of last summer. I plan on doing it a lot more in the future and I think now its time to sign up for DAN and the DAN insurance.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the coverage begins right away or if I have to wait 30 days or something like that. Another thing I'm not clear about is the insurance for a spouse. The DAN coverage you can get a family plan but is the insurance just per person or for the entire family plan or what? Do they offer a family insurance plan. My wife dives but probably only on vacation for the most part. I'd still like her to be covered though.

An overview of DAN insurance is available here: https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/index.asp

From page 5 of Certificate Schedule Form G-24078 CRT:

You will become an Insured Person when You have enrolled for Coverage under the Group Policy, paid the premium for the Coverage Period shown in the Certificate Schedule, and been accepted by United States Life. Eligible Persons who satisfy the criteria for eligibility described in the Certificate Schedule on the Policy Effective Date will have Coverage on that date.

For a person who becomes an Eligible Person after the Policy Effective Date, You will become an Insured Person at 12:01 a.m. on the date following the date United States Life or its agent approves his or her enrollment form and receives the premium due.

First advice: Spend some time on the DAN website, DAN Divers Alert Network

The 2010 member benefits handbook says (page 18) that there is no waiting period for insurance to be effective, but it requires confirmation that payment has been received.

There is no "family plan" insurance AFAIK. There is a family membership in DAN. Insurance is purchased separately for each individual, but you have to be a member to buy the insurance. So, for example, you would pay $55 for a family membership, and $75 each for the preferred plan insurance, for a total of $205 / year for a couple.

Do a search, the concensus here on SB seems to be to get the preferred, but you could save a little with the other plans.

We have been under the "preferred plan" for a number of years. Would'nt think of diving without some sort of good medical coverage. One trip to the chamber or one air ambulance ride and you will quickly see why the $200.00 per year is worth it!

OK, Thanks guys. I signed both of us up for the the master. Like you said, I've read that most like the preferred, but the master is good too. I figured I'd stay away from the standard. Hopefully this is a huge waste of money :)

OK, Thanks guys. I signed both of us up for the the master. Like you said, I've read that most like the preferred, but the master is good too. I figured I'd stay away from the standard. Hopefully this is a huge waste of money :)

Also understand that DAN insurance is Secondary insurance. Your primary insurance would have to either pay or deny the claim for DAN to then kick in.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/memberfaqs.asp

"Does my DAN Membership provide dive accident insurance?
No, DAN Membership does not include dive accident insurance. DAN offers three different levels of insurance coverage: The DAN Standard Plan, The DAN Master Plan and The DAN Preferred Plan. All three levels are secondary insurance payable after your primary insurance."

Personally I didn't trust Blue Cross Blue Shield for primary coverage so I invested in DiveAssure for my primary insurance with having DAN as my secondary.

DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance - The Best in Dive Accident and Dive Travel Insurance

Good luck!

Mike thanks for bringing that up. I was reading the tread about DAN and was wondering if anyone has looked into Dive Assure. I believe that Dive Assure is primary insurance. I am looking into Dive Assure and would like anyone's $0.02 worth. Pros/Cons and so forth. Thanks!

Hopefully this is a huge waste of money :)
In a recent thread somebody, I think it was Bubbletrubble, gave the best reason for having DAN insurance that I have heard: having it will help overcome reluctance to seek treatment, which seems to be pretty common. With early treatment so important to a positive outcome, removing any hurdles makes a lot of sense.

Mike, I remember reading elsewhere that you decided to get both DiveAssure and DAN so both your primary and secondary would be covered.

That makes sense to me.

I'm already a DAN member with insurance.

Looking at the DiveAssure site, I can get their "Gold" plan, i.e., their basic coverage for $79, which seems pretty reasonable.

Did you do this or did you go for one of the more expensive plans? I'm thinking I would only need DA's basic plan since DAN would pick up where DiveAssure's coverage would stop.

Back
Top Bottom