DAN vs Dive Assure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chkultr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Could/would someone help me out on this. I am finishing my ow cert dives tomorrow if the weather will cooperate. This means my DAN student enrollment will be void. The LDS requires insurance to go out on the boat. Some from the LDS tell you DAN and others tell you Dive Assure. So my question is which one do you have? Why? Ans is one better than the other?

I have searched on here for this topic. Maybe not hard enough or with the right wording so this is the reason for this post.

Thanks
Josh
VAH BEACH,VA

Some from the LDS tell you DAN and others tell you Dive Assure. So my question is which one do you have? Why? Ans is one better than the other?

As I understand it, Dive Assure is primary insurance, while DAN is secondary. That means, I believe, that DAN will pay after your primary insurer pays.

Depending on the level of coverage, both are good as far as I've found. There are several threads on this on SB. I've had DAN for several years.

I strongly suggest that you don't dive without some form of dive-specific insurance. Would you drive without auto insurance??

Make sure you compare "apples" to apples". DAN has membership and optional insurance at several levels. Most insurance will not cover diving, especially when at depths below 18m I believe.

Check out:

DAN Plans Compared

Dive Assure USA only

Dive Assure for those living outside of the US

They seem similar in price and coverage. You need to buy membership and then insurance with DAN. This two part system cost a bit more than Dive Assure. I think we are talking only about 30USD more.

DAN also offers the 24 hour hotline for all, regardless if you are a member. All things being equal, supporting DAN seems better IMO. Is DAN for profit? They were founded by a university and have a very good track record.

Arizona

I strongly suggest that you don't dive without some form of dive-specific insurance. Would you drive without auto insurance??

Uh no I will not drive/dive without insurance. That is asking for trouble imho!

Could/would someone help me out on this. I am finishing my ow cert dives tomorrow if the weather will cooperate. This means my DAN student enrollment will be void. The LDS requires insurance to go out on the boat. Some from the LDS tell you DAN and others tell you Dive Assure. So my question is which one do you have? Why? Ans is one better than the other?

I have searched on here for this topic. Maybe not hard enough or with the right wording so this is the reason for this post.

Thanks
Josh
VAH BEACH,VA
One of the primary difference between Dan and Dive Assure is the coverage. Dan is secondary to any other health insurance and Dive Assure is primary.

As a DAN Prefered member I get dive, life, equipment and travel insurance with life insurance for 75 bucks a years....

I do both. Redundancy is good. I figured why should I spend thousands on dive gear, more thousands on travel, and then sweat the insurance?

It's about $400 a year for two of us for a great amount of coverage from dive assure, with the secondary coverage from DAN at like ... almost free.

Can't speak much for insurance since I haven't had to use it. I have Dan Prefered, and I can't use Dive Assure since they don't offer their services in MD. Can't really beat $75 a year, and I looked it up for VA for a single diver its like 275 a year. Not too bad, better than my car insurance lol

I contacted both DAN and DiveAssure International with some questions regarding coverage (asthmatic diver) and some other specifics.

John Lippmann from DAN replied to my numerous emails within 24 hours, answering my questions in detail.

I have still not heard from DiveAssure International (1 month now). Also, DiveAsure only has an email contact for international insurance. No customer services number or anything. Their sales teams is useless, and it makes me wonder how quick they will respond in an actual emergency

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom