Dancing naked on Kaya Abraham

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler

Contributor
Reaction score
My annual sojourn to Bonaire was bookended this year by those who borrow gas in the nighttime.

I was unable to pickup my rental truck at the airport because the rental companies are having a bit of a go around with the government. They were booted out of the airport and then booted out of their new facility across the street so I had to catch their shuttle to their temporary base at the Plaza to pick up my truck. Drove it down the street to my accomodations and parked it til the next morning. When I went diving the next morning I noticed that the inner liner of the wheel well had been ripped apart and when I went to Lisa Gas I was told that the hose had been cut and it wasn't possible to put gas in the tank. (Rental trucks on Bonaire have a rubber hose from the cap to the tank, with no anti-siphon protection, that sits behind a plastic wheelwell liner). So it was off to the Plaza to get another truck with a full tank. Next morning I was again greeted with a ripped out wheelwell liner and an empty tank so it was off to the Plaza again for a third truck. Things settled down after that.

Until our last night when I filled the tank to return the truck in the morning. I parked in the lot on the street directly under the spotlight that illuminates the resort sign and next to the streetlight that had been installed just that day by the Government ( no doubt to keep the streets safe and secure) -- and went to bed early. When I happpened to awake at 1:30 I glanced out the window and saw someone squatting by the my gas tank - can in hand. I ran out the door and chased him off and waited around to make sure he was gone. I saw a police van head into the Divi and was about to go talk to them when my wife appeared and pointed out that I had forgotten to put on my pants. So there I was, half naked, pacing angrily up and down Kaya Abraham at 1:30 in the morning with a large rock in my hand. Decided it was not the best time to talk to the police. Went and put on pants and spent the night in the bed of my pickup watching the traffic go by.

But the rest of the trip was great.

We went to the Belnam dive site because a friend told us there was a seahorse right on the mooring line. Now those are directions I can follow. I was excited because, in all my years of diving, the only time i had ever found a seahorse it was dead. We suited up, got to the shore and along came the marine park boat and replaced the mooring line while we watched in dismay. One of many reasons why I don't chase fish from site to site. Did 10 dives at Red Beryl and 10 at Witches Hut - these are my favorite sites.

Did Lac Cai once. Tried Somethin Special for variety - this is an easy entry, short swim site right in town with a lot of interesting fish activity. Hilma Hooker was pleasant enough early in the morning with just me, the tarpons and the green moray. But gosh, if your going to sink a drug smuggler's ship, can't you scatter some empty vials around and maybe have Jaqueline Bisset swim by once in a while? Night dives at Carib Inn/Divi and Buddy Dive were diasappointing. Wasn't much out and about.

Worst dive was Tori"s Reef. We were trying to convince boat diving friends of the glories of shore diving. We had just taken them to Red Beryl where they were knocked down in the surf, the lobster wasn't home, the crinoid had moved, the blenny wouldn't dance and the four turtles from yesterday were nowhere to be seen (don't chase fish from site to site :)). Tori's is a non surf entry. Turbid would be too good to describe the viz. And there was a thermocline (or at least the Carribean version 82F to 77F) complete with blurry viz you see with a thermocline. Oh great I thought - they're really gonna be impressed. Then we saw two huge cuberra snappers. Then we saw a field of sailfin blennies dancing away. Then we saw 4 eagle rays in a feeding frenzy. We watched them for about 10 minutes. They acted like we weren't even there. Our friends were shooting video from 3 feet away (except when the camera jammed).

There are no bad dives on Bonaire.

New fish seen: gold goby, black brotula, harlequin pipefish. saw 3 frogfish in one dive at the divi. saw more eagle rays than I have ever seen before on Bonaire.

Food: Donna&Georgio's is a favorite. Donna made us a cheescake for our anniversary.
Kon Tiki has slow service but good food and a nice location. a good place for lunch if you drive around the island on your last day. Casa Blanca's mixed grill for two yielded two additional meals at home. Fogon Latino has a nice steak and eggs dinner at a fair price. Chinese carryout - enough chicken fried rice for two for 13F isn't bad. And of course there is that old favorite -- gouda with peanut butter and jelly.

Stayed at Carib Inn. Nice and quiet by the water. Serves my diving needs quite nicely.

And if you see a beater silver Mitsubishi pickup with one tail light hanging around in the middle of the night - keep your eyes open. ( that prolly describes half the vehicles on the island. :)

Yea - I'm gonna go back. PBD PBD

rjchandler,

Thanks for sharing your trip report with us and really sorry to hear about the recurring problems caused by gas thieves and the need to keep replacing rental trucks - what a hassle! It almost sounds surreal, esp. waking up your last night just in time to prevent another theft. I know Carib Inn is not a very large resort, but sounds as though they need to consider hiring a night time security guard. Just my 2 cents....

safe diving, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

MWent and put on pants and spent the night in the bed of my pickup watching the traffic go by.

3 trucks with stolen gas and having to sleep in the bed of your rental truck...

and they say on the other threads that the crime problem in Bonaire isn't that bad.... jeez.

3 trucks with stolen gas and having to sleep in the bed of your rental truck...

and they say on the other threads that the crime problem in Bonaire isn't that bad.... jeez.
I'm certainly wondering?!
So there I was, half naked, pacing angrily up and down Kaya Abraham at 1:30 in the morning with a large rock in my hand. Decided it was not the best time to talk to the police. Went and put on pants and spent the night in the bed of my pickup watching the traffic go by.
I'm glad you were not arrested for threatening locals with a rock, and that he didn't turn on you with a larger rock or more. Jeeze. :doh: Spending half the night in pickup to guard against thieves kinda puts a shadow on an expensive vacation. Good story, but then - I'd rather sleep in bed with no truck. Sounds like the island needs to change their transportation policies.

I am "the wife" in the original post- thanks for the sympathetic replies! However, what makes us really sad, in spite of everything, is that it we'll probably have to wait a year to return to Bonaire! We understand that gas theft is an island-wide problem that flares up when the price of gas increases. The business owners really hate it, and we don't really expect Bruce to do any more than he already has (security cameras, extra lighting, etc.) - we just happened to be extra unlucky this time, and the perps are pretty brazen. We love Bonaire, we've been going for years, and we know it is not Disneyland. But then--where is? And who would want it anyway?

I've heard of some folks taking locking gas caps with them to Bonaire because of the problem...

but I guess that if they are going to rip the wheel liner out and cut the hose, then a locking gas cap doesn't do a damn thing for you.

What hotel were you staying at that this was happening at?

Hi Nano and welcome to SB.

Some islands have crime problems, some do not. The situation on Bonaire with the you-drive-it and shore dives encourages the worst I have heard about. It might beat Cozumel diving, but it sounds like a headache with rooms buglarized, pickups damaged to steal gas, can't leave things in the pickup while diving, your husband having to sit up in the pickup half the night, etc.

I have not been there, mostly because it's such a hassle for me to fly there - and when I have considered it I was told that I would prefer shore diving to boat diving, but I dunno....?

There's only 14,000 people there. I'm sure the police know the usual suspects. If this happened on a regular basis to a town in the US with 14,000 who depended on tourism, vigilantes would form. It seems to be an accepted sport there to prey on tourists...??

I do need to try it someday, but damn! :mad:

Hi Nano and welcome to SB.

Some islands have crime problems, some do not. The situation on Bonaire with the you-drive-it and shore dives encourages the worst I have heard about. It might beat Cozumel diving, but it sounds like a headache with rooms buglarized, pickups damaged to steal gas, can't leave things in the pickup while diving, your husband having to sit up in the pickup half the night, etc.

I have not been there, mostly because it's such a hassle for me to fly there - and when I have considered it I was told that I would prefer shore diving to boat diving, but I dunno....?

There's only 14,000 people there. I'm sure the police know the usual suspects. If this happened on a regular basis to a town in the US with 14,000 who depended on tourism, vigilantes would form. It seems to be an accepted sport there to prey on tourists...??

I do need to try it someday, but damn! :mad:

Oahu makes Bonaire look tame.

Petty or violent crime - its all the same there!

Thanks for the welcome, Don!

For those of us who adore shore diving, there is really no alternative to Bonaire. If you think you might be susceptible to its allure, don't try it- otherwise you may find yourself willing to put up with the same kind of junk we experienced in order to feed your addiction.

RJ:

I know how you feel! I had my tank siphoned at the exact same spot...

Don:

In the USA, I have had my hotel burgled while I slept (LA), had my wallet stolen (Madison), had my car seats stolen from my car 20 feet from my apartment bedroom while I slept (Olympia), had my car gone through at various trail heads (and a dive spot), had another apartment broken into while I was at class during college, and had my car locks screw drivered (Tacoma, Oahu, etc.).

That is not to say that there is no property cime on Bonaire -- there is. And it is worse than in the very early 90s. Bt I have more than 10 trips to the island with a total stay of probably six months and likely 400+ dives. In that time, I have had gas siphoned once. That is it. No other crime. And I have never felt unsafe (unlike a few locations in the USA). No one has tried to scam me. No one has tried to sell me a time share. No one has tried to get me to buy some trinket or craft while I am walking by the water or in town. No one has given me a sob story looking for money.

OTOH, many times I have been helped by the people of Bonaire -- in ways both large and small.

For me, Bonaire is all about the people and the shore diving. I can dive zero to five dives a day. I can dive when I want and where I want. I get to be away form other large groups of divers. I am 100% responsible for my own dives. If I wake up early, I can dive at 6am. Or at 11pm. I can do a 45 minute dive if I am getting cold. Or a 100+ minute dive hanging out in the shallows.

And at what seems like a bargain price to me. I split a two bedroom (one side is on the water, the other is on the pool), 1.5 bath with full kitchen, patio and dining room for about $160 a night ( nice hotel in Seattle or PDX or Chicago is much more than that!). Add a rental car for less than $300/week (again split) and diving at around $100 per person a week (a single two tank boat dive in Hawaii can run that). And food costs not much more than when I am home. (And the amazing thing -- over half of the staff there are the same ones who worked there on my first visit almost 15 years ago.)

Now, I am the first one to say that stats don't mean anything if you are the one who draws the short straw. (Yes, the odds of dying while flying commercial are lower than winning powerball but the odds don't matter if you are the one of x million). And, speaking of planes, getting there from SEA does suck -- although it is way better than 15 years ago.

For me, the freedom to dive how I want, where I want and when I want is way more important to me than being able to keep extra $, an 02 tester and a CO tester in my glove box.

OTOH, if I wanted a super low cost trip where I didn't eat in (I often prefer to eat in) and did only boat dives, I probably would go to the Bay Islands...

Back
Top Bottom