"Danger is My Business"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure which or maybe both my Uncle Jacks daughters Sharon and Kathy might have his TV series movie reels and copies of his low level bombing run Ploesti raid Army Air Corps and Bikini Bomb test movies. Cousin of mine Gordon Craig last known member of our family born in Scotland wanted to redo them in digital since they are made using old nitrate film which becomes dangerous with age and you lose the film. Sometimea I catch copies of his Low level Ploesti Raid on history channel and Bikini Bomb test where sailors are putting on their goggles just before blast. In 1 bomb test I think I spotted him in nose of B-29 for an air drop of a bomb. He also took a lot of air combat footage from B-17s over Germany some I believe were used in old movie black and white movie 12 O'clock high and then they used it again in TV series 12 O'clock High. I might be wrong but I seem to recall he said he was wounded in leg at Remagen bridge taking movies of German Me 262 Jet Fighters and Ardo 234 Jet Bombers trying to destroy the bridge after the Germans explosives failed to destroy the bridge and we used it to cross the Rhine river. I think he got some shrapnel in 1 leg from a Me 262 Fighter 30 mm cannon shell when it strafed beach next to bridge. But I could be wrong about that. Oh I do recall and wonder what happened to it he had brought home a German 9mm MP 40 submachine gun I recall he showed that to me once.

Wow,

I'm bumping this thread so that I don't lose track of it. There have been some very interesting post since I last viewed it.

Again, I think John D. Craig has been overlooked in the History of Diving community and I hope that someday this will be rectified.

J.C. Top Gun, thank you for the updates; I look forward to more of your post.

Cheers,

Couv

e2a0e03ae7a0c54a1dbd1210.L._AA280_.jpg

Me too, (of the book, that is) except I will not part with it. :)

Last edited:
The book is fun. I covers everything from tigr hunting in India to Hardhat diving. He even makes a radio broadcast form the bottom of one of the great lakes. I picked it up thinking that it would be a kind of stilted story, but found it engaging and enjoyable.

The book is fun. I covers everything from tigr hunting in India to Hardhat diving. He even makes a radio broadcast form the bottom of one of the great lakes. I picked it up thinking that it would be a kind of stilted story, but found it engaging and enjoyable.
It is a really good read. It was Craig's story about the radio broadcast that inspired me to host an internet chat session (back in the GEnie days) from down inside an underwater habitat that featured Scott Carpenter and Sylvia Earle's daughter "Mouse."

It is a really good read. It was Craig's story about the radio broadcast that inspired me to host an internet chat session (back in the GEnie days) from down inside an underwater habitat that featured Scott Carpenter and Sylvia Earle's daughter "Mouse."

As a very young kid Sealab 2020 was my favorite cartoon. I poured over each copy of national geographic that had some sea article in it. I have been fascinated by the sea for my entire life. As I read Craig's words I find a kindred spirit.

Thank you Thal; I envy your experiences.

I too found "Danger is My Business" an excellent read. John Craig obviously had a full life and a gift for telling about it; unlike "For Spacious Skies" a biography written by Scott Carpenter's doting daughter. However, thank's to this biography, I did manage to appreciate the man after learning more about his childhood and hardships. Having worked around, and with aviator types for a good part of my life, I found it very refreshing to read about this humble, down to earth man, and his accomplishments.

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom