Danger with Bull Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canasm00

Registered
Reaction score
I’m planning to go diving with my 12 year son at Murcielago Island in the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. One of the attractions is to see Bull Sharks. I’ve been reading about the critters and it seems that they are somewhat dangerous for divers, especially lone divers.

I’m thinking, probably due to shear ignorance, that sharks, being keen depredators, will go for the weakest or smallest of the pack. If for some reason my son and I get separated from the group I’m worried that my son, being smaller than me, might be an attractive target for a shark.

Anyone wants to share an opinion on what is the real danger?

Thanks

I had an uncomfortable experience with a bull shark one upon a time: link.

Great story Thalassamania.

I've dived with Bulls many times, in Thailand and here in the Philippines. To date, I've yet to see a threat posture. I consider them 'safe' for diving, but vigilance and caution should always be foremost when dealing with any apex predator.

canasm00:
If for some reason my son and I get separated from the group I’m worried that my son, being smaller than me, might be an attractive target for a shark.

No shark, with the possible exception of Oceanic Whitetips, routinely targets people as prey. The odds of a Bull attacking, especially attacking a diver, are extremely low. Having said that, it does happen. Don't get separated from the group. Don't act like prey. Stay off the surface until you are actually exiting the water. Don't swim with your hands. Swim slowly with confidence.

Last edited:
I’m planning to go diving with my 12 year son at Murcielago Island in the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. One of the attractions is to see Bull Sharks. I’ve been reading about the critters and it seems that they are somewhat dangerous for divers, especially lone divers.

I’m thinking, probably due to shear ignorance, that sharks, being keen depredators, will go for the weakest or smallest of the pack. If for some reason my son and I get separated from the group I’m worried that my son, being smaller than me, might be an attractive target for a shark.

Thanks

Hi canasm00,

We were in Costa Rica the summer of 2006 and my daughter and I took the very long ride (21 miles from Ocotal Beach Resort) out to Islas Murcielago (Bat Islands). Unfortunately, the Bull Sharks were not home for our visit but we had a great interaction with a large Manta. I never considered the dive to be particularly dangerous.

We also had a great trip to Islas Catalinas during the visit.

Good diving, Craig

ive dived with bull sharks and im still alive with all my fingers and toes! i was sat in the middle of a feeding ground so it could have been very easy for them to have a nibble on me but they werent at all interessted in the divers.
i do think 12 is a bit young for shark diving though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom