Dangerous BC witnessed this weekend!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdaughter:
Curious, String...where can I find your comments/ concerns with weight integrated BCs and cold water :06: ...interested, since the Great lakes area rarely qualifies as warm water, and whaddaya know, here I am! lol.
Cathy

Id posted them here before so a search could/should find it however i'll summarise:

Cold water divers need to wear more weight than warm water to count for the exposure protection.

A lot (most) WI BCs are rated are just about on the limit of what a cold water diver needs, some are actually overloaded. Ive also seen some very poor weight retention methods in these things.

Where a PC may quite happily hold 4lbs in each pocket you tend to find say 11lbs in each pocket severely overstresses them - you see and hear of a LOT more accidental drops from WI BCs than you do weight belts.

My other concern is more of a practical one and probably not relevent to most, if i dove a WI BC a lot are a royal pain in the neck to rethread the weights on a boat. Its also heavier and fiddly to put on especially when diving off small boats/RIBs.
Likewise on surfacing if you DONT want to unpack them (to avoid rethreading later) id be about as popular as anthrax trying to pass a BC,15l cylinder with an addition 24lbs of lead in the pockets up to someone leaning over the site.

MonkSeal:
Maybe their fins are OK (I can't comment I've never tried it) but their regs are far from great.
I don't know your experience with Mares regs but I would be interested to hear more about and I can tell you about my.
I have a Mares Abyss since couple of years. Dove it in the winter time in Nova Scotia when salt water freezes, always performed flawlesly. The best breather I ever tried(Tried Apeks, Scubapro, Poseidon, Beuchat and couple more before buying it :)) regardless how deep you go.
While I respect your experience with Mares regs, I personally don't know anyone who wasn't happy with his/her Abyss.

ahh,
so would you say that you think that they are an issue in cold water, period or with divers who require close to the max weight limit for the WI? (not trying to start anything, looking to clarify---I intend to investigate further, believe me, since I will be doing most of my diving in our less temperate waters)
I personally use 12-14lbs in 70 degree FW, with a 6/3 mm suit, hood, gloves and boots. My BC is rated for a significantly higher weight than I require (XS can take 14 lbs in the MRS at the front and 16, I believe in the trim pckets at the back) So as an individual, I cannot imagine being cocerned about overloading the thing.

As to lugging it around with the weights in, you are absolutely right...and mine only weighs 20lbs, fully weighted. I was hoping that, in handing up the MRS weights first and reducing the weight to 12 lbs, I would not be burdening anyone too much. (but i do agree with you)
Thanks..and sorry to switch topics slightly. I'll search for your thread.
Cathy

waterdaughter:
ahh,
so would you say that you think that they are an issue in cold water, period or with divers who require close to the max weight limit for the WI? (not trying to start anything, looking to clarify---I intend to investigate further, believe me, since I will be doing most of my diving in our less temperate waters)
I personally use 12-14lbs in 70 degree FW, with a 6/3 mm suit, hood, gloves and boots. My BC is rated for a significantly higher weight than I require (XS can take 14 lbs in the MRS at the front and 16, I believe in the trim pckets at the back) So as an individual, I cannot imagine being cocerned about overloading the thing.

As to lugging it around with the weights in, you are absolutely right...and mine only weighs 20lbs, fully weighted. I was hoping that, in handing up the MRS weights first and reducing the weight to 12 lbs, I would not be burdening anyone too much. (but i do agree with you)
Thanks..and sorry to switch topics slightly. I'll search for your thread.
Cathy

Typically here divers on a single tank will be carrying 22-30lbs possibly more (depending on drysuit or wetsuit choice).
Despite some BCs allegedly being rated to support this weight ive seen many fail or at least drop a weight long before they reach that limit.

The issue of handing up is related to the fact some WI systems are notoriously fiddly to rethread especially on a small boat bouncing about on the sea.

Another point i failed to mention is if for some reason you need to dekit underwater (whether to get out of an entanglement or squeeze out through a hole) then having all your weight on your BC and holding onto it for dear life isnt going to assist you in solving the problem.

String:
Typically here divers on a single tank will be carrying 22-30lbs possibly more (depending on drysuit or wetsuit choice).
Despite some BCs allegedly being rated to support this weight ive seen many fail or at least drop a weight long before they reach that limit.

The issue of handing up is related to the fact some WI systems are notoriously fiddly to rethread especially on a small boat bouncing about on the sea.

Another point i failed to mention is if for some reason you need to dekit underwater (whether to get out of an entanglement or squeeze out through a hole) then having all your weight on your BC and holding onto it for dear life isnt going to assist you in solving the problem.

Well...I must confess that while I felt the convenience far outweighed the first two examples of negatives you gave (both valid, of course) I never entertained the possibilites of the potentially serious issues which could arise (and arise being the operative word here) in the event of an emergency requiring me to remove the entire unit. :11:

Wouldn't this also be the case for those who use a BP/W and find they no longer require a weightbelt either? What do they do?

:33: Seems like I have some important details yet to consider.

No matter how much research you do...it's never enough.

Thanks for pointing out that especially disturbing scenario...I will have to come up with a strategy to deal with that, (ditch and don drills?) At least until such time as I can afford to look into a different choice.

Cathy

lowlight:
I don't think the point of the post was to discuss the safety merits of dropping half vs. all of your weight but rather the dangerous failure of the BC. What if both dumps had failed, what then?

That was the point I got also!

Does this BC not have a manual pull dump as well ? Those are nothing more than a piece of plastic on a spring and essentially idiot proof.

waterdaughter:
Thanks for pointing out that especially disturbing scenario...I will have to come up with a strategy to deal with that, (ditch and don drills?) At least until such time as I can afford to look into a different choice.

Cathy

Yes BP/W wearers will have a similar problem. Ditch and don drills are all very well but at the end of the day if you need to take your kit off you may well need both hands to cut or extract from a hazard. You wouldnt be able to use both hands if attempting to hold your BC - you will be near 24lbs positive in some instances which is (i) very hard to hold onto and (ii) letting got for just one second will send you up like a rocket.

Back
Top Bottom