Dangerous conditions in Coz right now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are staying at a resort for a week. He has his own equipment. As for safety gear he has a 6' sausage and a whistle.

I'm quoting all three posts here review...
I have reservations for a dive on Palancar Horseshoe and San Francisco Shallows on Monday April 7th with my newly certified 14 year old son. His only experiance is his open water test and two river dives with me. He's a strong swimmer, comfotable in the water, and physically fit. Should I recosider the dive or trust my DM to make the right call?

It's a good idea for any divers new to ocean diving, or in particular first time to dive Cozumel, to hire a private DM for the first couple of dives at least.

Are you on a cruise? Rental gear? Got any signaling devices of your own? Really, S.C.U.B.A. involves some degree of swimming, but mostly it's about equipment we use and how we use it.

We are staying at a resort for a week. He has his own equipment. As for safety gear he has a 6' sausage and a whistle.
Great, and he knows he gear well I guess. It'd be good to rent tanks at the resort the day before for a shore dive and weight check. I add 4# for salt water and other adjustments for suit changes, but he may not need as much weight change. That's also a good time to drill on weight ditching; my home bud & I do that the first dive of every trip, and you can add mask & air drills of course.

It'd still be a good idea to hire a private DM for the first two boat dives. Have fun...!!

I have reservations for a dive on Palancar Horseshoe and San Francisco Shallows on Monday April 7th with my newly certified 14 year old son. His only experiance is his open water test and two river dives with me. He's a strong swimmer, comfotable in the water, and physically fit. Should I recosider the dive or trust my DM to make the right call?

I assume the dive op knows your son's experience level...I would suggest that you and the DM make a decison as to which dive site is best on the morning you dive. Conditions change all the time. There is almost always some dive site that would work even if you end up doing two "shallow" dives.

My son has been diving in Cozumel since he was 12. When we started diving there with him, we either had an instructor with him or dived in a very small group (usually just the 3 of us or us with dive shop owner or one other very experienced couple) with a single DM whom we knew well and was a certified instructor. My wife and I are former DM's / Assistant Instructors so we figured we could take care of anything that arose with us. We thought it was best not to try to function in any role other than that of parents with our son.

Absent a DM who's an instructor who's explicitly agreed to keep an eagle eye on your kid and whom you trust, I think hiring an instructor for your son makes sense. We did this when our son's 17 y/o girlfriend was diving with us after just having completed a course. It wasn't really very expensive.

Thanks to all for the input, private DM sounds like the way to go.

Thanks to all for the input, private DM sounds like the way to go.
First couple of boat dives at least. :thumb:

We have been here since Friday and current seems to have settled down.
First day we did see fast current and some flipped direction at some sites, but not the past two days.
Santa Rosa wall today was baby current, slow and easy.
Punta Tunich was wild crazy fast, but it is ALWAYS like that.
I haven't heard any complaints by people on any other boats, so whatever was going on when this thread started, has died down.

robin

Thanks Robin. Good to hear since we arrive Saturday and we've only done drift diving when at SCC in January. We will do an afternoon dive to check out our equipment and then start our boat dives on Sunday morning. Hoping to get in 18 dives in six days.

I did eight dives; three on March 30, three on March 31 and two on April 1. Four were tumbleweed races with currents between 2 to 4 knots. On March 31 we started at the south end of Las Palmas and the dive ended on the north side of Paradise Reef. We were very spread out at our safety stop because the current was faster at 15 feet than it was at the bottom. I ended up alone about 1 mile away from the boat. I inflated my SMB, wrapped it around my legs and had a nice, leisurely wait in the sunshine. The next morning on Paso del Cedral, we were hit by 3 1/2 to 4 knot currents and it was off to the races again. We got separated again at the safety stop again but this time I was only alone about 1/2 mile away from the boat. I put my DAN SMB to good use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom