Datamask reading temperature too low

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mhedstrom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband just started diving with the Datamask (his Christmas present, birthday present, next Christmas, and the one after that too...), and one thing we really noticed when diving in Cozumel this week, is his temperature reading was much lower than everybody else. My Atom 2 was reading a water temperature of 78. Other people on the dive boat had between 78-79 on various computers....his Datamask was reading 71. I do expect some discrepancy, but an 8 degree variation is a pretty large one I think. Anyone else see this?

He had a little trouble at first getting a seal, but after a couple dives, he said it was fine, and yes, he did love it. It was funny to watch the safety stops. Everybody was looking at their watches or dive computers, and he's just sitting there looking around at everyone else. My Atom 2 was able to get his air as well, which was nice for me so I didn't have to ask how much air he had left. :)

I dove with the mask last week and also had a pretty large difference in temperature. 8-9 degrees.

I dove in a pool with a thermometer in and the difference was 11 degrees. I am going to call Oceanic about this.

One of our support guys mentioned a customer's mask that was 6 degrees off another Oceanic computer that he brought along. The spec's acceptable range is +/- 3. So, if both units are on the outer side of the range - 6 degrees, while not the norm, is within reason. Consider that the sensor has no access directly to water - so expect (from my experience) 5-10 minutes to get a reliable reading. The examples above, reporting differences beyond the spec, should be returned for evaluation. Please give your dealer or our support group a call (be sure to let them know of any upcoming diving plans) - they'll take care of the rest.

Doug

Where is the temp sensor located? if it's close to the face, will air temp inside the mask have any diffference.

FYI, my DataMask was within 1 degree of the Suunto D9 during my Cayman dives a few weeks back.

Hi Michelle -- I had a similar problem on a ProPlus 2. Fiance' (I can say that now, woohoo) and I bought our PP2s on the same day -- On our first dive trip with the new toys -- I was consistently off a few degrees, but it was enough to be one of those things that make ya go hmmm...

Took my computer to my LDS after New Year's and they sent it off. Just call a call from them -- Oceanic replaced mine with a brand new unit - no problem, mon.

I had read alot about Oceanic's customer service and this proves it. Just send it in, they will take care of it.

:)

Not to hijack this thread but... after a dive do you have to put the mask on to retrieve your data for your logbook? I am seriously considering this mask but my LDS does not have a demo and I want to make sure I don't end up with a $1500.00 leaker.

Bruce

I just download all the data directly to the computer and then deal with the logbook. Well to be more precise, we use my Atom 2 if we want to see anything specific about the dive, and my husband deals with his dive profile later. Although you can actually kind of see the display without putting the mask totally on. That's definitely what I would say the one drawback, is that it's much easier to see after-dive data on my Atom than it is on his datamask.

To follow up on this myself, our LDS called Oceanic who said they had heard from some other people about this problem, and are replacing the entire mask. Not refurbishing or fixing the old one, giving us a brand new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom