DCI of Intestines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Jo:

Not all tissues can form decompression gas bubbles since they are not able to generate the prerequisite micronuclei. In addition, it is necessary that, once formed, the bubbles can actually interact in some fashion with nerves to elicit pain. Intestines do not appear to be able to do either and thus cannot be a cause for DCS.

Pain is not always present when some harmful process is occurring. The death of bone cells in dysbaric osteonecrosis is an example. This is a disease that affects commercial divers and those individuals who work in tunnels (“sand hogs”) when compressed air is used.

It is possible to swallow air and have this expand as you ascend to the surface. The expansion can be painful until released from the body. I once read of some officials present in a tunnel for a ribbon-cutting ceremony. Champagne was drunk and a [compressed] atmosphere of revelry was everywhere. Unfortunately, when it was time to exit the works through the air lock, the gentlemen found that the gas from the champagne bubbles expanded in the stomach and intestines. The dignitaries found it necessary to relieve themselves of this gas.

[sp]Probably undignified dignitaries. :bonk:

Dr Deco

Thanks Dr Deco for your reply.

Is there a good remedy for this trapped gas that I can purchase, just in case it every happens again, particularly as it occurred when I was on an island miles from the nearest chemist?

Hello Jo:

Trapped gas expansion can be quite painful and significant in divers, particularly the air that some divers swallow in the process of trying to clear their ears. This has resulted in severe gastroesophageal reflux at best and ruptured stomachs and lower esophagi, at worst.
http://www.scuba-doc.com/hrtbrn.htm

This swallowed gas rarely gets into the lower intestine in the short time period of a dive and colon gas is usually the result of bacterial fermentation on digested and partially digested food products. This gas is compressed on descent but if trapped - as in gas containing diverticulae- it can possibly produce pain and possible rupture on ascent, although I've not been able to find any reports of this happening.

There is a product called 'Beano' that is said to reduce this problem.

Read more about Intestinal Gas on our web site.

I should have also mentioned that I do have a condition known as IBS( irritable bowl syndrome). Although I usually take care of that by a little musselex and it rarely doesn't even bother me any more. I used to get that by just working out to an extreme, which I refuse to slow down on any ways.

But the condition that you described is rather interesting, and buying a product known as beano can help relieve the conditon is rather interesting too.

Thanks for the input this may help quite a few other divers who probably get this,but aren't as atuned to their bodies as others.

I also just read the other link very informative. How would a person know that he may have ruptured something, such as his/her diaphram? Are their any symptoms?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom