DCS incident in NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeadiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello All:

I had a dive accident a couple of weeks ago and wanted to be sure to post it so that others can learn from it. First, a little background on me as a diver. I have been diving for about 15 years and have almost 500 dives in my log book. I own all of my own equipment, have it serviced annually and tested it in the quarry before actually diving it in the ocean.

Two weeks ago I was diving the ledges off of the Wilmington coast on a spearing/lobstering dive trip. The weather was very good as the winds were minimal, waves were in the 2' range and it was very hot. The dives were excellent, although visibility was limited on the bottom and a 10 degree thermocline existed at about 75' for all dives during the weekend.

Saturday we did two dives, both in the 110' range, and stayed within the limits of my computer. The dives went normally and no problems were detected. After an early night, Sunday's dives went off without a hitch. Depths were about the same, I stayed within the limits of the computer and had no problems during the dives. About 10 minutes after surfacing from the final dive on Sunday, my fingers began to tingle. After another 10 minutes, my arms started to go numb from my finger tips to my elbows. At about that time, I figured out something might be amiss.

I put myself on 100% Oxygen and informed the captain that I was experiencing a probable DCS hit. After about 30 minutes on Oxygen my symptoms eased, however when I discontinued the Oxygen the symptoms returned confirming my self diagnosis. To resolve the DCS, I spent 4 hours and 48 minutes in the chamber at Duke on a Navy Table 6 treatment. My symptoms cleared completely and I am cleared to dive in another couple of weeks.

Analysis of my dive computer profile showed I did everything right. My ascent rate never exceeded 30'/minute. I did a 1 minute deep stop halfway up, did a 5 minute hang minimum on both dives. From everything I could look at from a dive performance analysis, I did the dive correctly. The problem wasn't with my diving, it was on the surface I had my problem.

It was very hot (over 100F) that weekend and I was having problems staying hydrated. Additionally, I was taking a new medication for BPH which caused additonal vaso-dilation which exacerbated my tendency towards additional dehydration. Dehydration has been implicated in many cases of DCS and was the primary culprit behind my event.

Lessons learned: 1) drink plenty of liquids, 2) use sports drinks to kick start hydration (I don't typically like these, but they do work and I will use them in the future) 3) check your medications to make sure that that new medication your taking doesn't have a dive implication (you will have to look carefully for this, most medicaitons are not tested for effects of hyperbaric environment so you probably will have to work at it). For additional information on medications and diving I would like to reference the following:

http://home.um.edu.mt/med-surg/mmj/17_01_3.pdf

For additional information on hydration I would like to reference the June 2008 of Dive
Training Magazine, Q & A section on page 101 which discusses hydration and diving. It has a very good explanation of the mechanics of hydration and its relationship to decompression sickness.

I was very lucky that my symptoms were minor and were completely resolved by recompression. Not only will I continue to dive within the limits of both my computer and training, I will also make sure I stay as hydrated as possible.

Glad to hear you are ok, and will definitly make me think about staying hydrated. That said, I am new to the board and have not dove east coast as yet. Is wilmington a pretty good spot (I go there on Business every now and then)

Thanks for the post. Glad you are healthy and cleared to dive in the future. This should be a real learning experience for us all that assume/depend on our dive computers to be the end-all be-all without taking all of the other factors into account, such as temp, hydration, changes/fluctuations in health conditions (meds/weight, etc.).

So glad to hear the outcome is positive.

You're right about "doing everything right" and taking a hit. I've seen it, and thankfully haven't experienced it.

The inadvertant dehydration, combined with the meds affecting vaso-dialation sounded pretty obvious in retrospect, didn't it? Funny how that works so much better in hind sight.

But hopefully your hit will help remind the rest of us to carefully consider our true situation before getting in.

You did just remind me, so I can say that much positive has happened.

Thanks again for the reminder.

Did you experience symptoms on both hands or just one. I had the exact same thing happen about a month ago. Little more aggressive profile but still considered within approved deco profile. I am glad you got recompressed. I was unable to access a chamber and I still have loss of some feeling in 3 fingertips on my left hand.

glad you are doing better and thanks for posting this!

Hydration is so very important, and too many divers don't take it seriously. When I am out of the water, before a dive and between dives, I am constantly hydrating. I drink water or something else right up until I put my BC on, especially if it is warm out. :D

You help others avoid dcs by posting this. Thanks!

I, too, took a hit within my computers NDL, and I was dehydrated. Ever since I put that thing in BT mode and started using the computer between my ears (which tells me to stay hydrated, amoung other things) I've been fine.

Good on you for getting right on the O2!

... 2) use sports drinks to kick start hydration ...QUOTE]

I was wondering how sports drinks would accelerate hydration. I would think that plain ole water would be the best way to get rehydrated quickly.

Thanks for posting! Glad you made out ok and got the help you needed. Happy 4th!

Thank you very much for posting such a well-written and useful account. I was diving in NC myself a couple of weeks ago. I'm glad to hear that your incident doesn't appear to carry any future bearings on your ability to dive. This is a great reminder that even if you do everything right, it can still hit you. One piece of info I couldn't find in your report is how many dives you did on Sunday?

Thanks for sharing and safe and happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom