DCS Incident - Salient lessons to be learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the software that you use cannot manage multi-level dives. while this may be fine, it is a limitation. v-planner is just another tool, just like a dive table or dive computer. all have advantages and disadvantages and all can get you bent, there are no certainties in this game.

The software does multi-level dives quite nicely, however we have no information about how long was spent at each depth, so I assume a square profile.

However if the profile information from the computer was available, I would be happy to model it.

"Getting bent" isn't like "Getting struck down by Zeus", it has a cause.

flots.

That's right, you don't. So you might want to caveat your post with something about how none of those limits apply to DAN USA plans. For DAN USA, the basic el cheapo plan will cover an incident occuring as part of any non-commercial/professional dive planned to 130' regardless of whether you're certified for OW or whatever past that. The other two DAN USA plans will cover an incident occuring as part of any non-commercial/professional dive planned to any depth whatsoever, regardless of what you're certified for. If you're certified to OW only, hold a Master or Preferred DAN USA plan, and get bent on a trimix deco dive to 100m, you would still be covered.

However, nobody should take some guy on the internet's word for this stuff. Buy insurance, read the coverage limits cover to cover, and ask the insurance company to clarify limits if you're not sure what they mean.

Not sure about the rest of the world but in OZ DAN policy wording is;

In the event of a dive injury insurance claim for a depth beyond 50m, a Member will be required to demonstrate that he/she held an appropriate certification for the dive and was using appropriate breathing gas mixes and equipment during the covered dive or Repetitive Dive Series.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2014 at 02:41 PM ----------

Perhaps the OP has a PFO. My wife was diving for a number of years, no issues. Then got skin bends for no reason after following cautious dive plans. On further investigation she has a very small PFO. Line up all the conditions and it bites her. If not all the risks line up she is ok. The main one for her appears not to have physical stress immediately after the dive like shifting tanks etc. Clearly for her the hole is so small it could not be found with surgery, only a bubble ultrasound and stress. However load her body with bubbles, then provide the conditions and physical stress and some sneak across sufficiently to give a skin bend.

Food for thought anyway.

In the event of a dive injury insurance claim for a depth beyond 50m, a Member will be required to demonstrate that he/she held an appropriate certification for the dive and was using appropriate breathing gas mixes and equipment during the covered dive or Repetitive Dive Series.

Again, it's regrettable that DAN insurance outside the US is so bad, but DAN USA members should read their polices and realize what limits are (and are not) placed on coverage.

Somehow someone didn't like it when I brought it(DAN Asia Pacific) up because it does not apply in USA.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2014 at 04:41 PM ----------

Again, it's regrettable that DAN insurance outside the US is so bad,
I am not sure about this. As you had already mentioned any irresponsible diver in USA can get away with his/her action.

totally agree, but it's a question of probabilities rather than absolutes and cause does not necessarily equal diver error.

With exception to undiagnosed PFO's, getting bent is always diver error. Whether in fitness level (and lifestyle choices), dive preparation (including nutrition and hydration), dive planning, or dive execution, the diver controls all the factors that cause DCS.

Somehow someone didn't like it when I brought it(DAN Asia Pacific) up because it does not apply in USA..

From what in my comment did you assume (incorrectly) that I had an issue with your comments? I was simply specifying what the policy wording was in OZ, and stating that I was not sure of the wording for DAN applicable to the rest of the world, nothing more. My concern was that people all over the world "might" assume that what applies in the US policy most probably would apply elsewhere. Clearly in OZ it doesn't, but I am "Not Sure" about the rest of the world, nothing more. Hence my comment "Not sure about the rest of the world..........."

With exception to undiagnosed PFO's, getting bent is always diver error. Whether in fitness level (and lifestyle choices), dive preparation (including nutrition and hydration), dive planning, or dive execution, the diver controls all the factors that cause DCS.

We will just have to disagree on that.

From what in my comment did you assume (incorrectly) that I had an issue with your comments? I was simply specifying what the policy wording was in OZ, and stating that I was not sure of the wording for DAN applicable to the rest of the world, nothing more. My concern was that people all over the world "might" assume that what applies in the US policy most probably would apply elsewhere. Clearly in OZ it doesn't, but I am "Not Sure" about the rest of the world, nothing more. Hence my comment "Not sure about the rest of the world..........."
No, I have no issue with your comment whatsoever. You and I had said the same thing but drawn different reaction from the same person!
Your "concern" is absolutely spot on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom