Dcs & Then Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah,.. I dive a rather benign flooded rock quarry for the most part & some caves in Northern Florida, besides the "once a year dive vacation" to warmer climes. :D The most I usually have to do is chase after a wayward student... so, all- in- all not too bad.

Have you determined the cause of your DCS?
From what research I have done I would suspect it was dehydration. Before having being diagnosed I was thirsty all the time. Once diagnosed, hospital and 6 bags of saline solution IV on my first night, woke up and did not even have the urge to urinate. That is a serious dose of dehydration due to the fact that it was probably over an extended period of say 2 months before I realised something was amiss. My organs had also begun to dehydrate.
Hence my using Gatorade on the SI, Isotonic and electrolyte replacement.

There will probably never be a real known "cause",.. but speculation is that it was a combination of dehydration from the undiagnosed diabetes (I was drinking a lot, but I was also urinating a lot) & a break from the post- decompression dive protocols I was taught. Normally after coming up from a decompression dive, we hang out on the surface & just chill out for 10- 15 min.,... discuss the dive, we then jettison all bailout/ stage & decompression cylinders at the water's edge, leaving only what we have on our backs. We then get out of the water, drop the equipment on our backs & sit down to rest for another 45- min to an hour to allow proper off gassing before removing dropped cylinders from the water & loading the vehicles to go back to our rooms. That particular day, we had completed a rather long CCR dive, done the prescribed decompression, but, instead of taking the time to rest on the surface & afterwards on land, we immediately pulled the equipment from the water & began loading my truck for the trip back to the motel we were staying in. We left Ginnie Springs at about 1 in the afternoon & by 6pm, I was showing symptoms.

Last edited:
I see, so foregoing the required/recommended 1 hour rest and arduous activity directly after the dive was a big factor. Thanks for clearing that up.
So when do you plan to start diving again?

Shaun

I see, so foregoing the required/recommended 1 hour rest and arduous activity directly after the dive was a big factor. Thanks for clearing that up.
So when do you plan to start diving again?

Shaun
It is believed, yes,.. as I said, there is no 100% way to prove it, either way. May have just been a bad day. I have been teaching recreational level diving, ever since I was released from 6 weeks off from diving, all summer. I will be heading back to the FL caves in a couple of weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom