Deaf/HoH divers and ASL signers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey DD welcome to the Board. I have a friend who is highly HoH and entering the SSI DiveCon program with the goal of becoming an instructor. I see no reason why he can't do it, but I would love to find out about any resource that other deaf/HoH instructors availed themselves of.

Yeah, I saw this is an old thread. It's still a good one though.

hey guys

I am not deaf or hoh but would very much like to learn sign language. I think it is a very good life skill to have and would make my and my dive buddies life a lot easier.

Does any of you know if there is a website where I can down load a learning program for this. Even if it is the basic stuff for bigginers...

Thanks for the help

I wouldn't recommend downloading a program, but there is a great instructional book with accompanying video called, "Signing Naturally." There's a part I and II...it's the best instructional comprehensive tool I've seen on the market...it's available in most larger bookstores and on Amazon.com. Most of the programs online will teach you "signs" but not teach you "how to sign" if that difference makes any sense...

I'm in the central florida area and know ASL fluently. (kind of have to... my parents are deaf.)

JodiBB:
I wouldn't recommend downloading a program, but there is a great instructional book with accompanying video called, "Signing Naturally." There's a part I and II...it's the best instructional comprehensive tool I've seen on the market...it's available in most larger bookstores and on Amazon.com. Most of the programs online will teach you "signs" but not teach you "how to sign" if that difference makes any sense...

Glad to see this thread is still alive and growing!

My wife teaches ASL at a local university and she uses the Signing Naturally books and videos.

An update on myself: Working on my Rescue Diver certification. My wife and I (both divers) are going on an all deaf cruise in '07 on the new "Freedom of the Seas" ship. We want to pre-plan 2-tank dives at each destination (schedule permitting).

I've been keeping an eye on this thread by subscription.

Get tanked!
Steve

Scuba Signer, thanks for letting me know about the '07 deaf cruise. I'm defintely interested in doing that, and also doing 2 tank dives on all ports.

My girlfriend, ScubaJW also is interested on this trip. Do you know where's the best place to find more information?

yukoneer:
Scuba Signer, thanks for letting me know about the '07 deaf cruise. I'm defintely interested in doing that, and also doing 2 tank dives on all ports.

My girlfriend, ScubaJW also is interested on this trip. Do you know where's the best place to find more information?

You could Google and read about it in several Deaf Forums or get your info straight from the bookkeeper, http://www.passagesdeaftravel.com/freedompage24.htm

Looks like it's "waiting list" status only as it's sold-out. After the Posidon re-make movie hits the shelves on DVD (captioned), expect a few spots to open up. Sad, I know, but might help you.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom