Dealing with PSD aftermath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

admikar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Question for more experienced PSD members: how do you deal with aftermath of, in lack of better word, successful body recovery?
I am not talking about effects of handling a deceased body. Except for handling a child, I have no qualms about that.
What affected me is the family which insisted to meet with me to thank me for bringing a closure to them.
I guess it's a cultural thing and I have no idea how comon this is in western world, but it did leave me distressed.
How do you deal with it?

In a similar situation, I was extremely uncomfortable, but honored the request to meet/talk to the family. It helped me to view it as part of their grieving process, and not really about me or my feelings. Sort of a less common continuance of my service/duty to the deceased.

Far better is to be involved in the entire process, than to be left wondering
You grieve for the deceased you cry with the family you grieve for yourself

@admikar If your team has a Peer Support program, I'd recommend using that. If your team doesn't have one, I'd strongly recommend you look at starting one. I'm happy to chat more on DM if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom