Death of cave diver at Mt Gambier, South Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't comment specifically about this incident nor the people involved, but here is some information about what I know of the site from my experience.

froop,

Thanks for the comprehensive post - I will add the following...

The last diver fatality in Kilsby's was on 6 April 1969 where 2 divers died (refer page 46-48 in Peter Horne's South Australian Diving Fatalities 1950-1985). These guys were the first to die in Mt Gambier sinkholes & caves. Up until last Saturday, there has been a total of 13 fatalities. By the way, CDAA is the Cave Divers Association of Australia.

regards

diver257a

A slightly more comprehensive write up.

Diver Forced To Leave Friend Behind To Drown In South Australia

"Ross Kilsby, 70, whose family has farmed the land around the cave for more than a century, said the Cave Divers Association of Australia leased the sinkhole from the family and managed access.

‘‘They control it pretty well. They work out how many can come and what their credentials are,’’ said Mr Kilsby.

‘‘We had the first two deaths in the hole in 1969. And then there were quite a few deaths around the district in different holes. Probably 14 or 16 other deaths in the area. Then the Cave Divers Association and the police and everyone else decided they had to lift standards for diving.’’

Just to add for those that have commented above.

I know the diver who died at Kilsby sinkhole on Saturday (we recieved a phone call from a colleague on saturday afternoon) and although I am not prepared to release any other details I can tell you he was a very experienced diver with around 20 Years or more experience in cave diving and he took every opportunity (weekend, holidays etc) to go cave diving.

The reason I post this is I think there is a tendency for posters to make assumptions that this must be an inexperienced person. Well he was not.

Make no mistake, all diving is dangerous and accidents and mishaps can happen even to the most experienced. It is a mistake to think otherwise.

Like everyone else, we are eager to undertsand what happened but we also know that he died doing something he was very passionate about.

Last edited:
Are there "cables" in this sinkhole, or just permanent line? I'm having a hard time imagining anybody running something in a frequently dived cave that you couldn't cut.

Are there "cables" in this sinkhole, or just permanent line? I'm having a hard time imagining anybody running something in a frequently dived cave that you couldn't cut.

I think you'll find that they are "cables" in the same way that the media reports divers running out of "oxygen". As with most news media these days, the more you read, the less facts you know.

I presume they mean line.

This has got to be a horrible situation for the cave diving friends as well as the surviving diver. Very sad.
Me too, or a diver with around 20 Years or more experience in cave diving who couldn't at least get out of and abandon his kit to ascend with his buddy?

Me too, or a diver with around 20 Years or more experience in cave diving who couldn't at least get out of and abandon his kit to ascend with his buddy?

I'm sure the full story will come out eventually. In the meantime it is just people speculating, which can be helpful as it makes people think about things, but may be completely irrelevant to what actually happened.

I'm sure the full story will come out eventually. In the meantime it is just people speculating, which can be helpful as it makes people think about things, but may be completely irrelevant to what actually happened.

I guess anything that keeps us thinking about safety, and potential mishaps is a good thing...even if it is just speculation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom