Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got some details 2nd hand from one of the recovery team.

They had staged deco bottles.

Computers read max depth 233 feet.

Diving air.

Father had deployed octo.

Initial thoughts by team were that son had OOA and shared fathers air. Father's supply ran out and son made a break for the chimney. Deco bottles were still in place(did not get details on where they were staged) and unused. Considering depth and gas had narcosis.

These are the only details I know of what was found on scene.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

What was in the deco bottles?

Octo ? !

What was in the deco bottles?

Octo ? !

I do not know. I assume air. That's what they had for back gas. Regardless they never used them. Deployment of the Octo was how it was told to me. I assumed long hose as well, but I relayed the info as it was relayed to me. We can speculate long hose, but unless someone else has details on their configurations its just speculation.

The son was found caught in the overhead .

I do not know. I assume air. That's what they had for back gas. Regardless they never used them. Deployment of the Octo was how it was told to me. I assumed long hose as well, but I relayed the info as it was relayed to me. We can speculate long hose, but unless someone else has details on their configurations its just speculation.

The son was found caught in the overhead .

Seeing how one of the recovery divers published an accounting of the recovery, which I believe has already been quoted in this thread, I would say it's not speculation what the configuration was - long hose deployed. The speculation was that they both went OOA at the same time and the son was likely slightly positive so he floated to ceiling after passing whereas the father sank. They were found near (exact distance not given) their staged bottles.

Seeing how one of the recovery divers published an accounting of the recovery, which I believe has already been quoted in this thread, I would say it's not speculation what the configuration was - long hose deployed. The speculation was that they both went OOA at the same time and the son was likely slightly positive so he floated to ceiling after passing whereas the father sank. They were found near (exact distance not given) their staged bottles.

Sorry...missed that post. Ill go look for that again.

Thanks for the clarification.

Education can go a long ways with many, but not all. If someone has already closed their minds to the needs & reasons of proper training, I do not think there is not much, if anything that can be done.

ScubaBoard has been visited over the past couple of years by a couple of participants who insist that training fro cave dives is unnecessary. One of them participated early on in this thread with the same message before his posts were deleted through moderation. In these cases, the participants have been fully and (in my view) persuasively shown the need for training, but they are unperturbed and continue to insist that it is nothing more than an elitist attitude among cave divers that spreads the "myth" that training is needed.

They will not be persuaded. The sad things is that they might persuade others. When they spread their message on ScubaBoard, we moderators are in a bit of a quandary about what to do about it. We have a policy against advocating dangerous diving practices, but where is that line? My personal view is to let the messages stay for the most part on the theory that the people who respond to them are usually pretty good at pointing out the issues, and I hope that perceptive readers will see that and come away more convinced about the need for training than ever. Of course, it's hard to know how people are reacting to an argument, and I have been stunned in the past when I see people accept views that I see as nonsense.

We also have no control whatsoever about what happens when they talk to other divers outside of this forum.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2014 at 11:04 AM ----------

Sorry...missed that post. Ill go look for that again.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not sure that the post from the recovery diver was actually reposted here in full. I referenced his comments in a post earlier, but I did not quote it. All the information from his description of the recovery is in this thread, but not all in the same post.

I would assume 32% based on the location of the bottles.

Where divers who breath air at 233' in a cave are concerned, I personally would assume little, as they obviously don't follow accepted protocols or standards. I'm more inclined to believe the bottles were placed for perceived procedure, as in "that's how cave divers do it", than for any other reason.

That is my assumption too. But it IS an assumption. The pictures of them show them wearing DiveRite DUOs (or clones), so they could certainly handle two gases.

That is my assumption too. But it IS an assumption. The pictures of them show them wearing DiveRite DUOs (or clones), so they could certainly handle two gases.

I thought the yellow computer on the Dad's wrist was a DiverRite Nitek 3, but I could be wrong.

In the most well known picture, the bottle being handled in front of the dad has the number 130 on it. Assuming that refers to MOD, and assuming he is using the common practice of using a 1.6 PPO2 for decompression, that would mean it held 32%.

It would also imply that they were intending dives much deeper than that and switching to that gas on ascending to 130 feet for decompression.

Or it could be all show. The picture shows the Dad carrying what appear to be cookies on his right shoulder. Was he really doing dives that require cookies, or is it all part of the cave diver look?

---------- Post added January 9th, 2014 at 11:53 AM ----------

Here is a new statement from the chairman of the NSS-CDS (National Speleological Society--Cave Diving Section) regarding this incident.

An American Tragedy | National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section

Just as an FYI, an officer from the NACD has released a statement with a similar message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom