Dec 1 - Splashdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe - I will post a "Critters and Conditions" report.

I am working Friday night and I do not like diving during the day, rinsing gear and then putting in a tweleve hour night shift. I have done but it ain't pretty.

sneak away early and dive on Thursday...

Ok, well Im signed up now for the 10am charter on friday. Anyone else want to join me? Hopefully we'll do the Castor. I asked about going to the Lofthus, but they said its out of the way.

Nice Operation,

I met moneysavr last Friday for a dive and the condition were awsome, couldn't do the wreck because the currents were too strong, but I'll like to dive them in the future. The drift dives were awsome with water temps at about 77 F. Ther was a nice drift current and the weather was perfect. No chop and sunny, what more can you ask for. Now O know why people recomend this diveop and I will definately return for some future dives with them.

Anyway Enjoy,

A fantastic dive day! I heard from several local divers that other boats opted to stay at port due to NOAA reporting 5 - 7 foot seas. We had 2-3 foot seas and a very mild current. There was a 50' vis and the temp was at 75 degrees. This is another reason that I book with experienced Captains and those of you who know Lynn know why I rely on what she says.

The first site was the Budwieser bar wreck. A 167 foot cargo vessel that I hit 91 feet on but did not go to the sand (who wants to see sand?). I did some pretend DM'ing by overseeing two divers and considering vantage points, which is easy in theory but many variables in real life.

We saw some HUGE grouper (jewfish) that puttered to and fro. This wreck has some really nice penetrations but I only did swim throughs as I did not have my wonder twin with me today.

I collected about 60' of yellow twine that was freshly draped across the wreck by some toothless wonder of the sea that I'd like to meet at bad breath distance.

I observed a Grouper that swam quickly and without any consideration as the fact that he was swimming into a hole 40% smaller than his huge girth, apparently groupers have a lack of spatial relationships, and therefore it does not apply to them.

I finned over and peered into the tiny hatch to see a mammoth grouper quite happily stuffed into a hatch hole like the 16th clown into the little car at the circus. I think cave divers and groupers evolved on simular pathways.

I looked up to see the last diver complete his safety stop and in a manner and seemily effortless movement that would make "She who is without faults" proud of her protege (remember the number five (5) is your friend) I unhooked the downline and expertly made a slow safe ascent paying homage to the gods of 'five point ascents.'

Very happy with myself I sprang onboard and disposed of the trash that I removed from Neptunes sea and looked around and "it was good."

Captain Lynn ( the marine biologist I might add) inquired.. "Did you see that Hammer Head? It was huge!" Now I crash into the DOH! How'd I miss that? I approached her out of ear shot of the newbies and perked.. "How huge?" She said.. "Twelve feet."

Well it is with great sadness to relate that even though I did all these great feats on a fantastic dive that I did indeed miss the 12' foot hammerhead cruising around the wreck with me.. kinda makes the old saying of "if it was a snake it would have bit you" pale in comparison.

See you on the next adventure!

:laughing: there's never a dull moment with Eric around :laughing:

:crying: I had to take my oldest daughter to become a tin grin.... Luckily for me, Eric called to graciously rub in the fact that I was stuck at the orthodontist all morning while he was going diving with you.... I told him I'm gonna start pimping him out as a DM candidate, so if you need your boat washed down, or barnacles removed, you just be sure to let me know.. He's a great student, eager to assist!

We had a good time on Splashdown on friday too. I thought waves were going to be bad, but we went out and it was just fine.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom