Deciding the future of goliath grouper

What should be the future of goliath grouper in the USA?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most up to date information on goliath grouper was published Open source (free download). Google Endangered Species Research (ESR) journal, go to vol 7, number 3.

To all those interested on killing and eating goliath grouper (a.k.a. jewfish) known also as Epinephelus itajara, I would remind them that goliaths have shown extremely high levels of methyl mercury. (see ESR publication above). Scientists think this is due to the goliaths spending almost the first decade of their lives in mangrove habitats, picking up all the pollution coming from our cities and towns. Methyl mercury is extremely poisonous when ingested, it causes mental retardation in children, anomalies in the unborn fetus when ingested by pregnant or planning to be pregnant mothers, erectile dysfunction in men, and it is thought a direct precursor of mental diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinsons. I don't understand why someone will be willing to subject himself/herself, or his/her loved ones to such danger by eating goliath grouper meat.

I found the reference you made to jewfish/methyl mercury content. From the abstract, I see that the research was done only in Belize and that none of the small jewfsih had mercury content which exceeded US standards. Maybe this means that fisherman could be allowed to take small jewfsih and leave the large ones to breed?

Is there any research from Florida which indicates that mercury content is an issue of conern? If not, why not?

Also, where do you come up with the information that jewfsih spend nearly 10 years in the mangroves? My understanding of recent research is that 3-4 years they are moving out of that habitat and are much. much larger at age 10 than fish normally found in shallow mangrove habitats.

I believe I'm correct in stating that the American Fisheries Society, arbiter of common names for fish, does not accept jewfish as an accepted common name for any of the several species that the name was applied to much earlier in history.

I am not a Jew, nor a follower of any organized religion... nor am I an adherent to political correctness... but am offended by the use of the former name.

I voted "kill them all" as a protest over the slanted nature of the poll.

Why start a poll that is so one sided. Just state your opinion because you don't want anyone elses.

Agree. That was very provocative and no way to start a sensible discussion.

I am not expert on American law, but I suspect it is pretty hard to get a species off the conservation list unless it is sustainable. I can't believe some bureaucrat wakes up one morning and says: "You know what, I am sick of protecting Goliath Groupers. Let's just wipe the buggers out..."

I believe I'm correct in stating that the American Fisheries Society, arbiter of common names for fish, does not accept jewfish as an accepted common name for any of the several species that the name was applied to much earlier in history.

I am not a Jew, nor a follower of any organized religion... nor am I an adherent to political correctness... but am offended by the use of the former name.

I am not sure if that is true or not. The Wikipedia source suggests that it was just political correctness: Strange things happen in threes 05/20/2001 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Interestingly, when I was trying to check that, I discovered that there is a town in the US called 'Jewfish'. Go figure. Jewfish, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe I would feel differently if I was Jewish, but I tend to favour leaving long standing names even if they are not PC. For the same reason I don't like the idea of renaming the Washington Redskins, although I accept that no new team should ever be called that or anything like it.

Well, you are white also..So are you offended by people calling Coregonus huntsmani - C. canadensis by the frequently used name of Whitefish ?

Bill, this is political correctness at it's most ridiculous. There is nothing derogatory about the word Jew. A person can make white or black derogatory if they want to.

I was diving in the late 70's and 80's in Palm Beach, and saw Jewfish on many occaisions until their rapid decline as we approached the late 80's. In over a decade of diving way back in those early days, I never once heard anything derogatory in the way Jewfish were discussed, or named.

Personally, I think being politically correct is a severe weakness that should not be tolerated.
Regards,
DanV

drbill:

I'm not a member of the American Fisheries Society, so I really don't care what they say in the role as self appointed arbiter of common names for fish. Common names are names that are commonly used, regardless of what the American Fisheries Society might say.

Why are you offended?

Back
Top Bottom